Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And in other racing news today, Pais Vasco started today, and of course we have Mr. Valverde showing up and winning the first stage. Interesting to me as well is who came in 2nd. Yes, Oscar Freire, interesting because it appears to have been a sprint finish, and Valverde beat Freire in a sprint? Damn that's hot.

Americano Chris Horner rolled in 6th.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2006/apr06/paisvasco06/paisvasco061

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
he beat him by something in the range of 2-5 mm. They had a pic taken on the line (on eurosport) and it was nigh impossible to figure out who won.

Don't see what the big deal is. Valverde has proven that he has a wicked sprint when he wants to.

magnolialover said:
Valverde beat Freire in a sprint? Damn that's hot.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed...

botto said:
he beat him by something in the range of 2-5 mm. They had a pic taken on the line (on eurosport) and it was nigh impossible to figure out who won.

Don't see what the big deal is. Valverde has proven that he has a wicked sprint when he wants to.
Valverde does have a very good sprint, and is known as a decent sprinter, but Freire is known as an exceptional sprinter, probably one of the top 5 in the world along with Boonen, Pettachi, McEwen, and Hushovd, so him beating Freire in a bunch gallop is pretty special I'd say.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
botto said:
Valverde is a pretty big deal. Have you seen him climb compared to anyone with any type of sprint? This is the same kid to won a TdF stage (on the top of a climb) with Lance on his wheel. Do you think Zabel or Freire would have been anywhere near that time zone? Not a chance.

This kid is the shizzit.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I remember that stage to the Pandera in the 2003 Vuelta when Valverde came from nowhere to blow by the 2 leaders and win the day.

Heras looked at him like "holy shyte, where did this guy come from?"

Big things in that guy's future.

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
Props to Freire for being in front after what sounded like a really bumpy course. None of the traditional sprinters would have been within 5 minutes of the lead group.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Valverde deserved it - he'd already put in an attack earlier in the stage - now there's a rider who attacks and isn't prepared to sit and wait

·
Banned
923 Posts
Wouldn't we all rather watch the ones who attack rather than the ones who wait? But I agree with your earlier point, spunout, about Valverde's overall ability - he has the talent and the panache to do something truly special and I for one am glad to have the opportunity to watch him and Boonen and a few others of the new crop really come into their own.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Spunout said:
Valverde is a pretty big deal. Have you seen him climb compared to anyone with any type of sprint? This is the same kid to won a TdF stage (on the top of a climb) with Lance on his wheel. Do you think Zabel or Freire would have been anywhere near that time zone? Not a chance.

This kid is the shizzit.
When he was racing in the youth categories he was known as El Imbatido because he won, well, everywhere he showed up. He's a natural.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts