Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This part of Sardinia looks alot like Southern California. Here are some scenery shots. Most of them have no significance other than I liked the clouds.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the way

About 8 miles in is the town of Cannigione. A resort area that will really fill up with tourists in the next three months. There are already hundreds of Europeans with campers filling up the campgrounds. The mountain picture is Bear Rock. People say it looks like a bear, I think it looks like a vulture, the one in Bugs Bunny cartoons. To get down the coast, you have to ride this 300 yard section of gravel road. More road pictures showing the descent into Palau. A picture of the water taxi that I use to get to and from Santo Stephano. Emma on the ferry.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
undies said:
Add a strip mall, a new McMansion development, and some Suburbans and it would look exactly like California :thumbsup:
There are actually quite a few SUVs here. Most of them are no bigger than a Honda Pilot and more than half are diesel. There are almost no straight stretches of road and the terrain is rolling. This all adds up to a pretty constant diesel exhaust breathing zone. I will get some pictures of the strip malls and mansions. It is a little greener than San Diego, more like the area east of the Bay Area. With Italians.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Eaten any sardines? Taxed anybody in Arbatax? Visited the cabinet in Cagliari? Smothered yourself on the Costa Smeralda?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mapei said:
Eaten any sardines? Taxed anybody in Arbatax? Visited the cabinet in Cagliari? Smothered yourself on the Costa Smeralda?
Costa Smeralda is a really expensive place. We stopped there for capuccinos while out riding and they were double the price of Cannigioni. I checked out a few menus as well, entrees were running around 20 euro as opposed to 8-10 in the other northern Sardinian cities. Nicer cars blow past you around there. Lots of mercedes station wagons with Swiss Euro plates. I am planning a trip to Corsica in July, I will get some good shots there.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
il sogno said:
Nice shots. You need some new tires. :D
Nah, they are just dirty. The gravel road section is only two miles from the end. Riding here is great, the bike and chain stay clean. I ride the gravel section at a walking pace. The thing I still need to work out is the logistics of shoes. I have to get my bike off the ship, down some steel stairs, on to a water taxi and then back off. Repeat the process to get back. Because of this, I have been wearing my MTB shoes. I use CB pedals on everything so it works, but I get hotspots on any ride over two hours. I need to find a place to leave some shoes. I miss my carbon sole road shoes. My commuter should be here soon, it will be great for going to the beach and shopping. No fenders required here.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Nice Pic's

My wife and I use Shimano double sided entry MTB wide platform peddles on our tandem; something line 5?? series peddles. These peddles have worked out great, as we can easily walk around in our MTB shoes, and no hotspot problems. I used my MTB 747 Shimano peddles (very small contact point) when I toured Shikoku island, and I can relate to your hotspot problem. After 180 kms of spinning a day the contact point on the peddle was feeling a bit small.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GeoCyclist said:
My wife and I use Shimano double sided entry MTB wide platform peddles on our tandem; something line 5?? series peddles. These peddles have worked out great, as we can easily walk around in our MTB shoes, and no hotspot problems. I used my MTB 747 Shimano peddles (very small contact point) when I toured Shikoku island, and I can relate to your hotspot problem. After 180 kms of spinning a day the contact point on the peddle was feeling a bit small.
Ya, but.... I ride a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma with campy Record. The shame of wearing MTB shoes while riding a work of art like that is more than I can stand. The shoes also cause me to wave at other riders I see on the road. That definately has to stop. I cannot be a snooty roadie with MTB shoes. In all seriousness, I would much rather wear my road shoes, they fit my feet better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.