Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searches here but have have not come up with much.

I am curious if anyone here follows a Paleo eating plan or some variant of that? If so, has your performance suffered as a result?

I have done other searches Google etc. most feedback/info is from the strength training crowd. I am looking for info from people that cycling is the biggest part of their 'training plan'. I consider myself a recreational cyclist, primarily ride alone but like to keep up with the crowd when I do ride with others i.e. no racing etc. other than the ego thing.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which I guess kind of answers my question....

So the REAL question now is what constitutes "time" on the bike? Does a ~40m ride once on the weekend and a couple ~20m rides during the week mean I spend time on the bike?? I am not trying to be nit-picky but I realize from reading here that is not a lot of riding compared to most.

So..... This could explain why I seem to have gotten weaker this year and the last half of last year. Hmmmm, you would think the light would have gone on before now but I thought I was just old and fat.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I was vague because it depends- on your physiology, training and on how hard you are riding. Generally, the easier you ride the less percentage of carbohydrates you are using. It also depends on how good you are at metabolizing fat. Some are better than others.

If you are feeling "bonked"- slow and dumb- during a ride then you've used up your carbohydrate stores during the ride. The brain runs exclusively on carbs, that's why ones thinking becomes cloudy when bonked. Besides being unpleasant, riding bonked doesn't make for effective training. It's just too slow.

Some people can use up their stored glycogen in an hour; others can go two hours or more.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I've been mostly paleo (I do eat cheese and butter) for about four years. My riding speed has actually increased once my body adapted to more fat burning. I'm a recreational rider and have done 60 miles with no problems and no carbs.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Wacky diet advice

ifrydr said:
I am curious if anyone here follows a Paleo eating plan or some variant of that? If so, has your performance suffered as a result?
As general guidance, wacky diets are really only good for the guy selling the book.

A consistently good program for people involved in endurance activities is to take in roughly 25% of calories from high quality fats, 0.7 gm of protein per lb of body weight (1.6 gm / kg of body mass), and get the rest from high quality carb sources.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've bought and read sections of the Paleo for Athletes book. (Joe Friel is co-author and swears by paleo diet.)

The modification for endurance athletes is adding carbs before, during, and after training (and racing) sessions. The variance from a "true" paleo diet is justified on the basis that our paleo ancestors were not spending their free time riding a bike for three hours at a time, but resting up for the next bout of foraging or hunting.

I find the paleo diet far too restrictive. Part of the message (more fresh foods, fewer processed and calorie-dense carbs) is common-sense, but if you want to follow it hardcore it would really take some work.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
pretender said:
The variance from a "true" paleo diet is justified on the basis that our paleo ancestors were not spending their free time riding a bike for three hours at a time, but resting up for the next bout of foraging or hunting./QUOTE]

So almost none of us perform any significant work as part of our daily life, hence we have to actually specifically perform exercise to maintain our health but paleo people didn't need carbs because their daily activities where they actually performed work were interspersed with rest periods?

The "true" paleo diet is "justified" because that's what they had to eat since pre-agriculture they didn't have the abundance of carbohydrate heavy grains that form the bulk of what we grow for food.

·
Registered
896 Posts
the original Paleo diet was not choice, and the results were marginal at best. faster, stronger, smarter, bigger only resulted when the caveman diet improved, which become a self-fulfilling cyclc of nutriotional and human evolution. i'd love to race against guys who live like cavemen. I'd win ever 35+ race....

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
I followed the Paleo diet for Athletes two summers ago. It works. I was thinner and faster than any other time in my life. However, with a family, it's hard to keep following the diet full-time. If I were single, I would follow it all the time.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Bulldozer said:
I followed the Paleo diet for Athletes two summers ago. It works. I was thinner and faster than any other time in my life. However, with a family, it's hard to keep following the diet full-time. If I were single, I would follow it all the time.
What would you eat for breakfast?

What was the most difficult food to give up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.