Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast did TOC breakaway (Voigt, Leipheimer, etc.) climb Palomar? Anyone timed them or has average speed? It will be interesting to compare...

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
From what I have heard it was just under an hour. Fast for the average rider but not fast for those guys

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Estimating from the cyclingnews.com live coverage, it looks to me like they hit the bottom of climb at about 1:40, and hit the top at about 2:22, for an elapsed time of about 42 minutes. That means average speed for the 11.8 mile climb of about 16.8 mph, which for a climb averaging 6.8% would be fast for anybody, and in another freakin' universe from the average rider.

However, I'm not sure about that start time, because the description is unclear. If it really took 10 minutes longer than that, the average speed would be about 13.6 mph, which sounds more realistic. Somebody out there probably has more precise numbers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/?id=live/california098

·
Registered
427 Posts
I plugged the numbers into analytic cycling based on a 70 Kg rider and got about 366 watts (5.22 watt/kg) for the 13.6 mph and 466 (6.7watt/kg) for the 16.8. The slow end is almost certainly too low where the latter is outlandishly high, so I would say somewhere in the middle of those two would be their actual speed, maybe around 14 mph?

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
They passed me right about 1:17 and I was about 1 minute up from Jilbertos. I checked my watch because we were trying to estimate what time they would hit Cole Grade. A buddy of mine call me on my cell right as they were hitting the top of the climb at 2:15.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigpinkt said:
They passed me right about 1:17 and I was about 1 minute up from Jilbertos. I checked my watch because we were trying to estimate what time they would hit Cole Grade. A buddy of mine call me on my cell right as they were hitting the top of the climb at 2:15.
That time (~58-59 min) is pretty pedestrian for these guys. It was a strange climb in some sense - you had big guys like Voigt at the front, with Zabriskie and others - yet Leipheimer was isolated - Armstrong, Rubiera, Popo and Brajkovic couldn't help him out and got dropped. Then you have Vande Velde who was struggling too, and Hamilton was way back in autobus. Rodriguez was way behind autobus and probably dropped out on the way down.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
5.22 watts/kg on that climb in the middle of a stage isn't too unrealistic. Larsson (the Saxo rider velonews posted power data for) did 5.4 watts/kg on Bonny Doon, half the length of Palomar (and he was trying to bridge up). He just hit 6 watts/kg in the time trial (he got 3rd), so I wouldn't be expecting anyone this time of year to be be doing much more. Also, Vande Velde was doing around 6 watts on the final climbs last year at the Tour. 6 is more like it for peak form on anything other than a short TT. That extra 1 watt/kg is bordering on non-physiological (like Ricco's numbers last year on climbs at the Tour...)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Heard a radio interview from AEG's Andrew Messick and he said the Leipheimer/Voigt group did the climb in just under 50 minutes, which would put them somewhere between that 13.6/16.8 mph estimate. Thats pretty impressive speed. To put that in perspective, I did the climb earlier in the morning (feeling pretty good) and did it in one hour and 14 minutes. Crazy how much faster pro tour guys are than the average joe.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zphogan said:
Heard a radio interview from AEG's Andrew Messick and he said the Leipheimer/Voigt group did the climb in just under 50 minutes, which would put them somewhere between that 13.6/16.8 mph estimate. Thats pretty impressive speed. To put that in perspective, I did the climb earlier in the morning (feeling pretty good) and did it in one hour and 14 minutes. Crazy how much faster pro tour guys are than the average joe.
the large discrepancy in the times reported here (under 50 min, 58-59 min) must be due to the large uncertainty of where the start/end of the climb is.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
55x11 said:
the large discrepancy in the times reported here (under 50 min, 58-59 min) must be due to the large uncertainty of where the start/end of the climb is.
I think that is correct. I am not sure what Messick used but the race bible had the climb starting at the turn, which is about 1/3 of the way up. Most measure store to store, or stop sign. I think that others were measuring from the feed, which was about 10 minutes up from the first store.

·
Registered
681 Posts
stevesbike said:
5.22 watts/kg on that climb in the middle of a stage isn't too unrealistic. Larsson (the Saxo rider velonews posted power data for) did 5.4 watts/kg on Bonny Doon, half the length of Palomar (and he was trying to bridge up). He just hit 6 watts/kg in the time trial (he got 3rd), so I wouldn't be expecting anyone this time of year to be be doing much more. Also, Vande Velde was doing around 6 watts on the final climbs last year at the Tour. 6 is more like it for peak form on anything other than a short TT. That extra 1 watt/kg is bordering on non-physiological (like Ricco's numbers last year on climbs at the Tour...)
Vande Velde was doing around 5.5W/kg on the final climbs at the tour last year while staying in contact with the other contendors, that's a hard pace for a GC guy, as opposed to a rider who is going just for the stage win.

http://www.saris.com/athletes/PermaLink,guid,cf030303-5cef-4f51-8f51-b249d1ec48c3.aspx

·
Registered
19,379 Posts
I remember it was about 50 minutes Store to Store. That is a VAM of about 1527. Compare this to Mayo's Venoux ride at VAM's of 1750, which would work out to a store to store time of about 43:30 :yikes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.