Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this is not a thread about my neighbor's privates - it's just a true story of how things keep going wrong in spite of yourself.

A while back my water heater went kaput, and I decided to splurge and get a high-end tankless water heater to replace it. Even though it was maybe three or four times the cost of a standard unit, it promised to cut energy usage (and costs) significantly while at the same time providing a never-ending flow of hot water (as long as the energy bill was paid up). This meant long, hot showers with no drop off in heat, and no surges of cold water when somewhere else in the house hot water was being used, like when the dishwasher was on.

I put it in and it was great. However. To kick on, the new tankless unit required a minimum flow to occur before its sensor would fire up the burners to heat the water. Unfortunately, I found that my single-lever kitchen faucet didn't allow enough flow to activate the hot water system.

So, I replaced that faucet with a two handled faucet. This worked better, but was sort of borderline. Its problem was that it had a 'low flow' water saving design feature. So after living with it a while, I decided to take it apart and yank out the flow restrictor. The spout didn't pivot from side to side as smoothly as before, but the flow was strong and the heat kicked in right away. It seemed everything was solved.

Then just a few days ago, the faucet suddenly began spraying water at the base of the spout, and then spout just popped right off, water spraying up to the ceiling!

It seems that the flow restrictor that I took out and threw away was a necessary part in keeping the spout connected to the faucet base assembly. So now, I'm back on ebay where it all began, where I had bought the tankless heater, now looking for another faucet, hopefully one that will work.

Will someone please tell me what my lesson is out of all this?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Tankless water heaters are great, but get a small 2 gallon electric water heater for the kitchen.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
God does have a sense of humor.

Len

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Come to think of it, ours is a bit the other way around. We've got a tankless waterheater/central heating combo and the heating won't kick in when there's a faucet dripping. Easy enough you say, but we share the thing with an other apartment, I wonder when they get home. :rolleyes:

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
To me, the lesson is that you should cure the disease, not treat the symptoms. You should not have to replace faucets to get a "high-end" tankless water heater to switch on. Replace it with one with a lower activation flow rate, or figure out how to change the flow rate in the one you have.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Starliner said:
Will someone please tell me what my lesson is out of all this?
Don't buy critical appliances off Ebay and install them yourself?

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Two-handled kitchen faucets are the worst thing ever. Washing dishes in the sink is enough of a pain, and it's nothing like a two-handled faucet to compound the work.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
girchy I dig you and all but

GirchyGirchy said:
Washing dishes in the sink is enough of a pain, and it's nothing like a two-handled faucet to compound the work.
Why on earth would you voluntarily wash dishes in the kitchen sink? isn't that why the good lord invented dishwashers?

Silly boy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts