Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the third year I've had one. I bought one on Friday and it's 3/4 gone. I live alone... They are seriously that good.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Yeah, that stuff is awesome!

Funny story. When I was a kid someone sent my family a panettone from Italy for the holidays and it was in the shape of a turkey. Whoever was in charge of the packaging of the product must not have had a good command of english because instead of labelling it "Mr. Turkey" they spelled it "Mr. Tarkey". So then my family started making fun of it and pronounced it "Meester Tarkey". And to this day, about 40 years later, I still refer to our Thanksgiving turkey as Meester Tarkey. :)

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Yeah they're not so hot at wars but those guys get just about everything else right.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My Grandma used to send me one every year. I've had more than I can count. One AWESOME tip that she gave me is that it's a good idea to use a big syringe to inject it with brandy a few days before you eat it. Grandma knew all kinds of cool stuff.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I use Panettone to make a Bread Pudding with Pannettone as the "bread" that also has a dark chocolate bar broken up and sprinkled across the top before it is baked. One of the best desserts I have ever eaten.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
We live near an amazing Italian deli that sells incredible Pannetone (forget the brands). Thanks for reminding me- could bring some to the relatives' house for the holidays, not just for Christmas anymore.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's a shame you discovered it so late. I've been eating it at holiday season for many decades. They really are good. I made it a few times. It was very good freshly made, but it's a lot of work, and the packaged ones are great, anyway. When it's been cut for a while and what's left is getting a little stale, lightly toasting it and adding a smear of good butter makes a heavenly snack.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Not sure if all Costcos stock them, or if we are special on NY because there are so many folks of Italian heritage, but the large ones at Costco are the best deal around...

I'm also a big fan of panforte, which is the specialty fruit 'cake'/desert from Sienna, made with figs and nuts... Ingredient Sweetness Cuisine Label Dessert

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It's okay but I can't say I'm very crazy about it. I live in an Italian neighborhood in Boston and it's definitely a big 'thing' in most of the stores and bakeries during the holidays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.