Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I don't know what is more disturbing

cydswipe said:
I don't know what is more disturbing -- that Pantini committed suicide or that the died of a heart attack that was not caused purposefully. My money still is on suicide, which is very sad notwithstanding anything that Pantani ever did or whatever anyone thought about him. But, another heart attack in a (relatively) young cyclist is very alarming. Why are cyclists in their 20s and 30s dying of heart attacks? If Pantani died of a heart attack, I will find it harder to believe that the heart attack deaths among professional cyclists in the last year or so are a mere coincidence.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can't jump to any conclusions yet. I have read a report that said that there were sedatives, found in his room, then others said the packets contained anti-depressants. So, it is hard to tell until the autopsy is completed. I had also read that Pantani had been using cocaine and had been in a clinic to fight it. He was fighting a pretty tough combination, drug addiction and depression.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
MarkS said:
I don't know what is more disturbing -- that Pantini committed suicide or that the died of a heart attack that was not caused purposefully. My money still is on suicide, which is very sad notwithstanding anything that Pantani ever did or whatever anyone thought about him. But, another heart attack in a (relatively) young cyclist is very alarming. Why are cyclists in their 20s and 30s dying of heart attacks? If Pantani died of a heart attack, I will find it harder to believe that the heart attack deaths among professional cyclists in the last year or so are a mere coincidence.

If he was a hard core coke addict that definately could have caused his heart attack. In any event it isn't normal for a 34 year old athlete to have a heart attack and die. Very rare. Maybe not suicide directly, but long term drug/alcohol abuse is just committing suicide slowly. A sad tale in any event and a warning for anyone who is headed down the same road as Pantani.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
The real deal

"There are is still not enough information to confirm or exclude the utilisation of toxic substances, and we need to wait a few weeks before the results of the histological and toxicological tests are known. It has not been established where and when these examinations will be carried out," concluded Professor Fortuni.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/feb04/feb17news

Given the circumstances surrounding his death, it doesn't look good.

:(

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
another story

Coolhand said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/feb04/feb17news

Given the circumstances surrounding his death, it doesn't look good.

:(
Pantani died after brain, heart swelling, autopsy reveals

February 16, 2004
RIMINI, Italy (AP) -- Former Tour de France winner Marco Pantani died from severe swelling in his brain and heart, an autopsy showed Monday.

Additional tests were necessary to determine the reason for the swelling, said Dr. Giuseppe Fortuni, who participated in the autopsy. Results of further tests were expected in about two weeks.

Pantani's heart and breathing stopped after cerebral and pulmonary edema, Fortuni said after the three-hour autopsy.

``We can absolutely exclude violent trauma,'' Fortuni told reporters. ``We will investigate in every direction.''

Pantani was found dead in a hotel room Saturday. About 10 bottles of tranquilizers were found in the room, some of them empty, others just open, police said.

Pantani struggled with depression in the past, but prosecutors have played down the possibility of suicide.

Pantani's 1998 Tour de France victory was the last by a rider other than Lance Armstrong.

Pantani also won the Giro d'Italia in 1998 -- the last rider to take both prestigious races in the same year. He had been plagued doping accusations and suspensions in recent seasons. Pantani long denied using banned performance-enhancing drugs.

Updated on Monday, Feb 16, 2004 2:12 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-pantani-autopsy&prov=ap&type=lgns

1 - 6 of 6 Posts