Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess with all of the Lance Armstrong inquiries, films, and admissions, etc., I missed this film somehow. I am off today due to a doctor's appointment and decided to check this out on Netflix. I came away impressed. It's a story about both the reasons why we all fall in love with this sport and how the professional ranks lost its way. At it's core though, it's really a film about love and loss. I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it yet.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
How is dying of a drug overdose in your hotel room an accident? Sorry, I haven't seen the film. I always liked the guy -- especially in the days he rode for Carrera. He could have had a good retirement. Open up a restaurant or bike shop. The guy was a hero to most Italians.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Who said anything about his death being an accident? He was involved in a serious accident with a car a few years before his death that also almost ended his career. The film covers that at length, so maybe that is what you are referring to????

Edit- I see that you are referencing the title of the film. They are just being cute/artsy. The film doesn't paint his death as an accident; more like the tragic culmination of a series of events.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That was a great piece. Watched it when it first premiered in Europe. I downloaded from iTunes store in the UK. A sad story for sure. One thing that got me in the film was when Marco was going to quit cycling when he was getting his first contract I believe. In film he goes home tells his mother he wants nothing to do with cycling anymore then the team principal goes according to film to stay with his family to change his mind. I myself took from that and if you listen to his mother at the end of film I really believe that was when Marco was told what needed to be done to compete in cycling on a level playing field with others. Think about it a young kid who loves bicycling but the hard truth is told to him. Obviously we know the rest of the story, his love for cycling far greater than his disappointment. Think of what you want about Lance but I truly believe everybody was cheating for a level playing field, not a good situation to be in. I definitely feel for that generation of cyclists. Definitely worth a watch. I watched three times.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was a great piece. Watched it when it first premiered in Europe. I downloaded from iTunes store in the UK. A sad story for sure. One thing that got me in the film was when Marco was going to quit cycling when he was getting his first contract I believe. In film he goes home tells his mother he wants nothing to do with cycling anymore then the team principal goes according to film to stay with his family to change his mind. I myself took from that and if you listen to his mother at the end of film I really believe that was when Marco was told what needed to be done to compete in cycling on a level playing field with others. Think about it a young kid who loves bicycling but the hard truth is told to him. Obviously we know the rest of the story, his love for cycling far greater than his disappointment. Think of what you want about Lance but I truly believe everybody was cheating for a level playing field, not a good situation to be in. I definitely feel for that generation of cyclists. Definitely worth a watch. I watched three times.
I actually interpreted that another way. I felt like he had already learned about the doping when he quit the first time and that the guy from the team went to his house to convince him to race (and dope) anyway, using the old "everyone's doing it" technique. Sad set circumstances either way....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
thinking the world is out to get you sounds like the delusions of a cocaine addict
I loved watching him race, don't care he doped, they all did. Sad his life ended as it did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts