Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I seriously doubt it was meant as a joke. I think that the speculation from someone on social media that "this was a pushback against the bike-friendly policies of Columbus..." is probably a lot closer to the truth.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left a review with my thoughts on their FB page. Their response was defensive. I encourage others to do the same.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I left a review with my thoughts on their FB page. Their response was defensive. I encourage others to do the same.
Can you give me a link to their FB page? I am having a little trouble finding it with various searches. I would like to give them a neg review as well.

·
Cycling Addict
5,180 Posts
Come on... we have been told that we cyclists are just overreacting when we show anger over that "float". If we weren't such scofflaws it would never have been made... or so we have been told on this forum.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Come on... we have been told that we cyclists are just overreacting when we show anger over that "float". If we weren't such scofflaws it would never have been made... or so we have been told on this forum.
Maybe its me, but passive-aggressive doesn't seem like your style. lol

Seriously, I just came back after a long hiatus, so I am not sure, but is this forum really that hard on cyclists?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I get that it's an Anything Goes Doo Dah parade, but even within that context there are boundaries. I find this exceedingly irresponsible, and not at all funny.

Reminds me of 1998 incident here in which NYC cops & firemen rode "Black to the Future" float shortly after African American James Byrd was dragged to his death behind a pick-up truck in Texas. They attempted to defend it as humor as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Firstly, appalling.

Nextly, revealing: this float and the lack of mainstream condemnation thereof explicitly confirms that motorists stake exclusive claim to public roads under threat of physical violence to perceived trespassers. In other words, "This road is mine, and I'll be so generous as not to kill you, so long as you don't piss me off, mildly inconvenience me, or happen to be in front of me when I drift off the road while updating my Facebook status."

It should be acknowledged that implicit in sharing is, if even subconsciously, the notion of ownership, and this float illustrates that mentality overtly and unapologetically.

Thus, conceding to share the road, as either motorist or cyclist, is conceding that one belongs there while the other does not.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I doubt this would be seen as an expression of free speech if the float had been a black guy hanging by a noose.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree. I mean, what's next? If all satire is okay under the banner of social commentary, then where do we draw the line? Should the next float at their moron-parade be some despicably offensive caricature of some Jews being tortured in concentration camps??? How about we make a float of a little black girl with a bullet in her head, "making fun" of that poor little girl in that horrible tragedy who got shot by a gang member? I am sure her grieving family would find that one particularly humorous and amusing.

Hey, maybe we can make a whole bunch of "Dunk driving floats" with big, blow-up bottles of Jack Daniels sticking out of the hood and a dozen flattened blow-up pedestrians stuck in various positions under the car with everything smeared with copious amounts of fake blood and sick, twisted bones? How about a float of a cotton field with a bunch of blow-up Black men, shirtless, laboring in the hot sun with whip marks all over their backs?

Oh I got it! How about we make a float of a GIANT Tsunami hitting a blow-up Japanese coast with THOUSANDS of insect-sized people all getting crushed under the water for some "harmless fun" referencing that tragic Tsunami in Japan a few years back?

Where the f*ck do we draw the line is what I want to know?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, you know if we cyclists would just start following the rules of the road like all the car drivers do...

...death is a pretty fair punishment for minor road infractions...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
since when are parades about satire, or possibly hate, like this?? I thought they are supposed to be purely positive stuff for children to enjoy. I mean as an adult, I would not cross the street to watch a parade - but enjoyed them as a young child.

Now I enjoy dark humour as much as anyone. I thought the Top Gear ridiculing of cyclists is indeed in good fun, and I laughed. But this parade float thing lacks a clear situation of attempt at comedy. And I mean you would not put Jim Jeffries on a parade float either, in front of children, much though his comedy is fricken hilarious.

·
Registered
478 Posts
since when are parades about hate and bullying like this?? I thought they are purely positive stuff for children to enjoy
They are sort of a conglomeration of "anything goes." I got curious after reading about one in Maine years ago. All derivatives of one run in Pasadena...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo_Dah_Parade

"The Pasadena Doo Dah Parade today features absurd and unique participants such as the BBQ & Hibachi Marching Grill Team, the Shopping Cart Drill Team, the Bastard Sons of Lee Marvin, the Men of Leisure Synchronized Nap Team, The Marching Lumberjacks, The Army of Toy Soldiers,[SUP][3][/SUP] Claude Rains& the 20-Man Memorial Invisible Man Marching Drill Team, Uncle Fester, Count Smokula, The Radioactive Chicken Heads and the Committee for the Right to Bear Arms, a group that marches in precise formations while carrying mannequin arms. Snotty Scotty and the Hankies is still the official band."

Again...even within this context, I maintain there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Jokes about killing cyclists is one of them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
since when are parades about satire, or possibly hate, like this?? I thought they are supposed to be purely positive stuff for children to enjoy. I mean as an adult, I would not cross the street to watch a parade - but enjoyed them as a young child.

Now I enjoy dark humour as much as anyone. I thought the Top Gear ridiculing of cyclists is indeed in good fun, and I laughed. But this parade float thing lacks a clear situation of attempt at comedy. And I mean you would not put Jim Jeffries on a parade float either, in front of children, much though his comedy is fricken hilarious.
Let me tell you something. In my half century or so on this planet, I have tripped over my tongue more times than I can count. My sense of humor makes a lot of people laugh, but you know what? I also step over the line on occasion and say something I shouldn't or make a joke that is...well, too far.

The difference between me and these parade-douchebags is that when this happens in my life I apologize for it. I don't couch my response to the feelings I have occasionally inadvertently hurt in righteous indignation and defensiveness.

You know, if I wasn't a cyclist and didn't truly understand the plight of cyclists as I do, not to mention read FAR TOO MANY articles of brutal slayings of cyclists, I might have laughed in ignorance. Hell, knowing my twisted sense of humor, I may have even been part of that idiocy if I was involved in the parade, again, out of sheer ignorance.

But that's the thing. If I was ignorant and was the one to have "made that joke," because I didn't know any better or because of a lapse or reason, the moment a group of cyclists sent me some of the horrible articles depicting the debauchery of mangled bicycles and mounting death tolls, I would realize my mistake and issue a heartfelt public apology.

The point is that its okay to be wrong because of ignorance, or to "cross the line" with a poorly thought out, tasteless attempt at humor.

But that's why God invented the apology.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I bet that the driver would have thought that it was funny if someone stepped out in front of his float and emptied a gun full of blanks straight at him.
They could say...."Just kiddin' "

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts

this is why i live on the west coast.

it's also why we continue to invest in fossil fuels at all costs.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I bet that the driver would have thought that it was funny if someone stepped out in front of his float and emptied a gun full of blanks straight at him.
They could say...."Just kiddin' "
Repped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.