Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Poseur extroadinaire
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 4 and 6 year old boys to a cyclocross race this past weekend. They both entered the kids race, just a loop around a flat area of the field. I decided to video tape it, so I was focused more on my boys, but I noticed something odd watching the video again. There was what appeared to be a non-handicapped girl that perhaps couldn't ride on 2 wheels yet, so her dad pushed her for the race. No big deal, except that he was pretty much sprinting and passed both my boys who were hard at work pedaling and she got the bigger trophy.

Am I turning into one of those crazy soccer parents that I always told myself I'd never be?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure what you could do about it now, but cheating is bad....even if it's just the kids event. Actually, it's worse when our children are taught to cheat, or worse yet to remain silent while others cheat them. I am not sure I would have remained silent. Right is right and wrong is wrong....especially with children.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Next time try the old mini-pump in the spokes trick.
That'll teach her!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
lame.

i 4 y/o can't ride his 2 wheeler with pedals, but he manage 3rd on his balance bike. usually he's more interested in watching the other kids. i can't see pushing his around to make him win. especially since usually all the kids get the same thing. this weekend they actually had prizes for 1-3 places. i found it odd.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Me, I just go ask why an adult was awarded a trophy in the kids race, and smirk as they try to justify their answer.

The real answer: next race, bring your running shoes and push your own kid across the line faster than the other dad so that your kid get the trophy. They set the rules, so play by them!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your kids were right, it was cheating. It's all pretty amusing to watch the Dad push his daughter but when it came time to give out the trophy's, that should have been taken into consideration. Your boys worked had and hard work should be rewarded. You're not an out of control parent. Your boys should have been rewarded for what they accomplished. I don't like the message it sends to the kids, to award the bigger trophy to the girl who's dad pushed her. I understand it's all suppose to be fun, but still...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It seems like you have this figured out already, but one thing that has helped me from kids races up to last week, is asking just who I want to win for.

If someone wins a race and cheating was involved, then the only way I can see it is that they want to be seen, or known, as the winner. Because they damn sure didn't really beat anyone.

Personally I could not care less about being seen as the best. I want to really be the best. Bringing us to the point that for nearly all of us the levels we race at will never be that important to anyone anyhow. And if one of us does make it to the big time, it likely will not be from results that came from cheating.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Another case of parents acting irresponsibly...what a surprise! If dad wanted to push little Suzie around the course so she could finish and have a sense of accomplishment, fine, but pushing her past other little kids and then taking the prize? Maybe we shouldn't blame the parent if he didn't have enough scruples to know any better (maybe that's how he was raised). But what about the adults organizing the race/awarding trophies? They didn't see the inappropriate behavior?...or they didn't have the guts to call the guy out?

At any rate, IMO you made the right call by not raising the issue. You'd probably be resented and portrayed as a partypooper/spoilsport/troublemaker. Look at it as a chance to teach the young'uns a valuable life lesson. There are some people who will try to cheat to get ahead but: "Winners never cheat and cheaters never win!" Except, of course, in politics but they're too young to have that discussion. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
There's something about this that really bugs me.

I'm not at all bugged by the fact that the dad pushed the girl around... That in and of itself is kinda fun/funny.

I'm bugged by the fact that there were trophies at all for a kids race.
I'm bugged by the fact that some of the trophies were bigger than the others.
I'm bugged by the fact that the fun/funny dad actually let his girl accept one. Not fun. Not funny.
I'm bugged that some kids came away confused by the whole situation (ie yours).

What could have just been a laugh turned into something else entirely by the sounds of it and that's just sad. Without the trophies there isn't a problem by my reasoning.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'd be most bothered if the dad went home promoting the idea that's how winning is done. Teaches her nothing. Hopefully he just kept it to "Yay!"

You should've gotten in a brawl with the guy, taught your kids and everyone else who "lost" how justice is served. :D

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
I feel bad for your kids that they witnessed that moron sprinting around and ultimately winning. They were probably really confused that they had to work, and her dad could push her. Just tell your kids they're awsome because they didn't need any help. I would have said something to that lame morom of a father. 90% of the time people don't realize or care they're in the wrong unless it's pointed out to them. Throwing something at his head wouldn't hurt either- just don't let your kids see ya do it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well said.

Frith said:
There's something about this that really bugs me.

I'm not at all bugged by the fact that the dad pushed the girl around... That in and of itself is kinda fun/funny.

I'm bugged by the fact that there were trophies at all for a kids race.
I'm bugged by the fact that some of the trophies were bigger than the others.
I'm bugged by the fact that the fun/funny dad actually let his girl accept one. Not fun. Not funny.
I'm bugged that some kids came away confused by the whole situation (ie yours).

What could have just been a laugh turned into something else entirely by the sounds of it and that's just sad. Without the trophies there isn't a problem by my reasoning.
I think you pretty much hit it on the head. I'm OK with kids competing at a certain age and getting prizes and all that, but it seems like at that point they need to be on their own.

I think the best kid cross moment I've ever seen was a ~3 year old on a wood kick bike tossing it over barriers and then crawling over them while people riotously cheered. The kid was having tons of fun, the parents we having fun and the kid was doing it on their own. No need to make kids into Cat 1's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts