Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YES!!!!!!! wind and tactics ripping the group to shreds!!!

rabobank splits the group and sends astana back to the hotel wondering "what were we doing getting caught like that?"

evans was in the third group, right?

>>edit. i had six contenders picked, and 2 are still in the top 5, baby! i even went out and said i hoped chavanel or flecha wins! now if they can hold on...
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=2043072#poststop

·
Registered
523 Posts
I didn't see the stage but just looking at the results it doesn't seem that Contador would be shaking in his boots about losing a little time to that lead group. Plus, the added bonus of losing the responsiblity of leading the peloton around the countrydside for at least tomorrow. Not a bad deal for Astana.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reports were he was almost panic-y on the road.

while they might not be able to hold him off, it was still good to see a group get away using weather and tactics. im telling ya, its probably not the happiest night at the astana dinner table. sounds like rabbobank set it up pretty good.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
weltyed said:
reports were he was almost panic-y on the road. .
Contador may be the top rider in the tour. His skills are strong. He is young and needs to work on emotions.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
thebadger said:
Not a bad deal for Astana.
It may not be, regardless they didn't have the firepower to do anything about it anyway.

So now twice in the last week a cadre of Rabobank riders have ripped the bunch to shreds and ended up with little to nothing to show for it.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
thebadger said:
I didn't see the stage but just looking at the results it doesn't seem that Contador would be shaking in his boots about losing a little time to that lead group. Plus, the added bonus of losing the responsiblity of leading the peloton around the countrydside for at least tomorrow. Not a bad deal for Astana.
Contador was all alone today. He got caught in the third group when Rabo put the hammer down, went to bridge the gap to the second group but didn't quite make it. Moreau pops out of nowhere and pulls him all the way to the second group. Contador even pulled the second group for some time when the time lost went up to 1:20. His team got blown away, that's what should worry him.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Creakyknees said:
ahhh yes, the famous "Bruyneel checkbook" defense.
Please explain.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
LostViking said:
Please explain.
Paying some other rider to help your guy.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
j3fri said:
wad happen to astana domestiques? i didnt catch the race today
got caught in the back and away from conti. rabobank was up front. big crosswinds came up and rabobank put the hammer down. the race was split into three main groups, with conti isolated in the third group. Losing mucho time, he tried to bridge to the second group. Was struggling when a rider not from his team came up and helped pull him up to the second group.

You can say Astana didnt want to protect the jersey all week, but something like that should NOT happen.

Putting on my foil cap, I will say the DS let it happen to weaken his defense against a July Armstrong. That is reaching, but its fun to throw non-dairy dry creamer on a fire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts