Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks like a weaker-than-usual list of GC contenders. No Rebellin (although I'm sure he'd like to be there) or Valverde.

Contador is the favorite, of course, but can his team provide him enough support without having Leipheimer there?

I guess the other GC contenders would be Evans, Kreuziger, Andy Schleck, or perhaps Luis Sánchez. I'm surprised to see Gesink from Rabobank not in the mix, since he was in close contention last year.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Contador and Evans certainly gets my attention. All I ask for is one battle between those two on a climb. Its early, but maybe they will be frisky.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
moonmoth said:
Looks like a weaker-than-usual list of GC contenders. No Rebellin (although I'm sure he'd like to be there) or Valverde.

Contador is the favorite, of course, but can his team provide him enough support without having Leipheimer there?

I guess the other GC contenders would be Evans, Kreuziger, Andy Schleck, or perhaps Luis Sánchez. I'm surprised to see Gesink from Rabobank not in the mix, since he was in close contention last year.
I won't list Andy Schleck in that list because I bet Astana would keep him close on the climbs and on the TT, he's not good enough as yet.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
bigmig19 said:
Contador and Evans certainly gets my attention. All I ask for is one battle between those two on a climb. Its early, but maybe they will be frisky.
Evans will try and wheel suck Alberto to no avail perhaps.

I'd like to see Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador let things fly.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
moonmoth said:

Popo and Zubeldia would be plenty of help in the mountains.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
ive got six i think will be in the mix.

contador wants to prove his form, evans knows he wont podium at le tour so he will go ftw, but i want chavanel or flecha to shock the world.

Christophe Moreau
Sylvain Chavanel
Juan Antonio Flecha
Cadel Evans
Jens Voigt
Alberto Contador

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
how do you guys think slipstream will show? i know they made a push to not just have a good showing in europe, but win something as well. can they take this one-week stage race? not sure who they would be pushing. does cozza have the chops? is pate doing ok?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
weltyed said:
how do you guys think slipstream will show? i know they made a push to not just have a good showing in europe, but win something as well. can they take this one-week stage race? not sure who they would be pushing. does cozza have the chops? is pate doing ok?
Maybe Dan Martin? Although he doesn't really have that much experience yet. Cozza might have it...who knows.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I second Flecha. I'm disappointed that big Hincapie isn't there either.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
robdamanii said:
Maybe Dan Martin? Although he doesn't really have that much experience yet. Cozza might have it...who knows.
:thumbsup: Dan is a good choice for the top 10. The course suits him and he knows the climbs well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
bigpinkt said:
:thumbsup: Dan is a good choice for the top 10. The course suits him and he knows the climbs well.
I agree. This race has DM all over it.

It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against today's climbing legends.

As for Slipstream riding for David Millar - would that be because DM has such good form right now? I wouldn't think so.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Prologue is in the books and Conti reigns supreme...for now.
Rode a great ride and put people on-notice. Congrats!

As a Saxo Bank fan, this was not the greatest start I could have seen, but there is a whole week of racing to go...things happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.