Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tornado Tom. A little lucky as all the guys went down or were affected by someone else going down.

I was disappointed Hushovd crashed because that would have been a nice race between the 2 of them.

Tom time trialled really nicely indeed. I wanted another winner though just because I would have liked to see someone else but I'm a Boonen fan so I'm still glad with the result.

Great race. Too bad there wasn't mud/rain. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
An absolute classic!

It's exactly what I love about P-R, the fact that luck plays as much as strength as well as the conditions. There was carnage in Arenberg, and then the grinding down process started from there.

I thought Chavanel had a great race (like last week) - the move to QS seems to have really done him good.

And as ever, Hincapie was nowhere. I still don't understand why people even bother listing him as a favorite - he'll never win a classic.

Right, time for some Leif and frites and mayo :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
part of that luck

is knowing where to not be behind such and such
many times when Boonen is on the front it is because he knows he is safest there.
all the good P-R champs have been lucky, but all of them increase their luck by being good bike handlers and course savvy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why no attack from Van Summeren or Hoste?!?!?!

I'm glad to see that Hushovd got the last podium spot, but why in the world didn't the Lotto duo attack Hushovd before the velodrome? They had to have guessed, just maybe, that Thor would be a little faster in a sprint...just a little. They haven't had any significant results this year in the classics, and that kind of stuff is why!

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Hincapie = Luckless at PR

I do not agree that it is unrealistic to think of Big George as a legitimate contender for a PR win. He is certainly Columbia's best hope. However, it appears that this best opportunities are behind him. IMHO the year of the "steer tube incident" was probibly his best shot. This, of course, leads to the inescapable observation that he is just plain luckless at PR. Too bad, as a win here would crown a career mostly spent working for others.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Hushovd was stronger at that point

jldickerson3 said:
I'm glad to see that Hushovd got the last podium spot, but why in the world didn't the Lotto duo attack Hushovd before the velodrome? They had to have guessed, just maybe, that Thor would be a little faster in a sprint...just a little. They haven't had any significant results this year in the classics, and that kind of stuff is why!
Hoste and Van Sumner were hanging on. Thor attacked Boonen countered, Flecha and the rest were trying to get back on when the crash occured. I'd say at that point (before the crash) the strongest left were Thor, Tom, JA and Pipo. I would have loved to see Tom and Thor duke it out over the last kms but Thor washed out in that corner.
So Thor went down and then caught the 2 lotto riders who passed him as he was getting up. Clearly if he was able to bridge up to them, they weren't gonna get rid of him.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup

Stogaguy said:
I do not agree that it is unrealistic to think of Big George as a legitimate contender for a PR win. He is certainly Columbia's best hope. However, it appears that this best opportunities are behind him. IMHO the year of the "steer tube incident" was probibly his best shot. This, of course, leads to the inescapable observation that he is just plain luckless at PR. Too bad, as a win here would crown a career mostly spent working for others.
twice in his career he was the strongest and got beat by sheep manpower (The mapei and domo farm frites 1-2-3s)
One time he had a shot with a teammate (a young Tom Boonen) helping and flipped into a ditch
finally he has form, and a strong supporting crew in the decisive move and breaks his steer tube
last year he flats or breaks a wheel

and I'd like to add that AGAIN the winner was riding 32 spoke 3x laced to ALUMINUM box section tubular rim
Congrats to FMB for making the winning tyres!

·
Registered
56 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Hoste and Van Sumner were hanging on. Thor attacked Boonen countered, Flecha and the rest were trying to get back on when the crash occured. I'd say at that point (before the crash) the strongest left were Thor, Tom, JA and Pipo. I would have loved to see Tom and Thor duke it out over the last kms but Thor washed out in that corner.
So Thor went down and then caught the 2 lotto riders who passed him as he was getting up. Clearly if he was able to bridge up to them, they weren't gonna get rid of him.
Maybe something was happening off camera when they were focused on Tom and Pippo, and Thor was clearly very strong today, but if its me and another skinny teammate lined up against a guy who in another life might have played pro rugby, one of us has to go up the road and try to make him chase. Its the only shot they had at the third spot. What would be the worst that could happen, the one who attacks first gets dropped, comes in fifth, and Thor takes third. Would have been the same outcome granted a little more spread out time wise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
atpjunkie said:
twice in his career he was the strongest and got beat by sheep manpower (The mapei and domo farm frites 1-2-3s)
One time he had a shot with a teammate (a young Tom Boonen) helping and flipped into a ditch
finally he has form, and a strong supporting crew in the decisive move and breaks his steer tube
last year he flats or breaks a wheel

and I'd like to add that AGAIN the winner was riding 32 spoke 3x laced to ALUMINUM box section tubular rim
Congrats to FMB for making the winning tyres!
And even that winning combination of 32, 3x + tubulars had one crash and a flat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
jldickerson3 said:
snip... but if its me and another skinny teammate lined up against a guy who in another life might have played pro rugby,...snip
That made me laugh!

Now you mention it, I could see him as an openside - he'd have the speed, but I'm not sure if he'd be happy doing the dirty on the floor like good opensides should :p

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'd like to know if george had a puncture, or if a wheel broke. was he using CF again?! anyone know?
I hope George can take today, and work it into a BIG year, with some wins.
I know that Mick Rogers was in Spain, and he's a GC rider. But he seems like the type that could do well at PR. He's a bit of a bigger guy, has a monster motor, and could have give Columbia another option. For that matter, same with David Millar of Garmin.

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
+1 on hand built wheels

Thank you for your observation regarding choice of wheels. I am sure that the equipment sponsors put a lot of pressure on teams to use their factory built wheels. However, it is clear that teams do this at their own risk. 32 spoke 3x wheels just seem to fair better in these extreme conditions.

I thought it was a shame that Big George went out last year with a wheels failure. One would think that after the steer tube incident, he would insist on having the most bullet/bomb proof equipment possible.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
I'd like to know if george had a puncture, or if a wheel broke. was he using CF again?! anyone know?
I hope George can take today, and work it into a BIG year, with some wins.
I know that Mick Rogers was in Spain, and he's a GC rider. But he seems like the type that could do well at PR. He's a bit of a bigger guy, has a monster motor, and could have give Columbia another option. For that matter, same with David Millar of Garmin.
It was a flat, I saw it on Eurosport.

Forget George, he isn't in the same class as those other guys now.

What I love about P-R is that there are almost never any surprises. It's a true strong man's course. When you look at the 6 names in the final selection, none were surprising. Same deal last year...it was Boonen, Cancellara, and Ballan. Two years prior saw guys winning solo with huge engines (and known to have such). Then you have Boonan, Hincapie, Flecha.

Same players usually.

I just finished reading the Cyclingnews write up (even though i watched the race), and they made a curious statement about it's good that Hushovd crashed out because he is the superior sprinter compared to Boonen. Isn't that a bit of a crazy statement? Especially in the context of a classic.

Unless I'm on something and don't know it, Boonen is odds on favorite for any sprint not involving Cavendish.

·
Registered
727 Posts
"Forget George, he isn't in the same class as those other guys now."

Sadly I agree with the sentiment but would argue that Big George will never lack class just a question of anno domini. He puncture about 60k out and had two team mates to pace him back on. I think the record for winning in recent years is three punctures!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup

Einstruzende said:
It was a flat, I saw it on Eurosport.

Forget George, he isn't in the same class as those other guys now.

What I love about P-R is that there are almost never any surprises. It's a true strong man's course. When you look at the 6 names in the final selection, none were surprising. Same deal last year...it was Boonen, Cancellara, and Ballan. Two years prior saw guys winning solo with huge engines (and known to have such). Then you have Boonan, Hincapie, Flecha.

Same players usually.

I just finished reading the Cyclingnews write up (even though i watched the race), and they made a curious statement about it's good that Hushovd crashed out because he is the superior sprinter compared to Boonen. Isn't that a bit of a crazy statement? Especially in the context of a classic.

Unless I'm on something and don't know it, Boonen is odds on favorite for any sprint not involving Cavendish.
it is the same cast and crew give or take a few
Flecha seems to be the next Hincapie. Always a bridesmaid and not for not trying his [email protected] off. Cancellera must have been having an off day. Boonen makes sure when a main rival is gapped they rarely get it back. Strongmen indeed, and it is nothing more than a battle of attrition. A Boonen-Thor sprint would have been good but I think Tom would have attacked outside on the 2nd to last set of cobbles. Once again, he remains upright when needed and gets back on quickly when he has an issue. It's not like he had all good luck, he had flats, tumbles, near slips. He keeps himself in the game and none of his rivals even as a group could dump him when they had a gap. Did you also see the way Boonen was taking those final turns? Trying to eek out a second anywhere he could.
I agree, though I think Thor is probably a superior sprinter in most cases, Tom has experience on the Roubaix drome and this is HIS big race. Thor is thinking "Green Jersey" in July, Tom is peaking now.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Spunout said:
Flecha is the next Hoste. OR Hoste is the next Flecha, whatever.
At least Flecha attacks and tries to animate races. Big George doesn't have that reputation, and as far as I know, neither does Hoste. Actually, Flecha's attacking style will probably be the reason he is bridesmaid and never the bride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Of the top 6 today, Boonen was the only one to take big pulls - he strung it out on Arenberg, Mons en Pevelle and Carrefour - testing the legs of everyone. It's his territory and for a Belgian, he only has to win one race a year. He was never really troubled today and nobody took the race to him. Regarding Flecha's and Hushovd's crashes - experience tells - knowing the lines and condition of the roads through the sectors is critical.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.