Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd long used a Craftsman 15mm wrench to snug the pedals up. When I picked up the new Speedplay Zero stainless spindle, I opted to buy this Park wrench. Longer handle, easier to tighten the pedal up...blah-blah.

I snugged it up and when I went to remove the wrench, it stuck some. Looking at the spindle, it had rounded the clean edge. "That's not good." I tried the Craftsman and now due to the rounded edge, it doesn't fit. :frown2: I'll file down the edge but it ticks me to have a tool bungle the surface like this. It's like a hack job.

Grabbing the B&S calipers, I measured a pair of Speedplay chrome-moly 14.94mm and the stainless 14.96mm though now bungled to 15.22mm. The Craftsman measures at 15.03mm, the Park PW5 15.31mm. :frown2: Since I was at it, I checked for parallelism...off too. I have a small assortment of their other tools that are about 17 years old and they perform without issue.

Lesson learned, measure tool before using. Any of you found their other tools to be of generous tolerance?

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Ironically, I have everything Park except the pedal wrench - cheap Pyramid works fine on my wife's Speedplays. Their tools are considered high end - shop quality. My brother the Campy freak calls them the second best tools made.

You could've gotten a slightly used - returned one or just a bad egg.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I went to buy a Park Chain tool CT-3 and the first one I picked up was bent. When you screwed the pin in, the came in at an angle. It didn't look used but there was no way when you screwed it in it was going to hit the pin in the chain. At the time I just thought bad quality control. The second one I picked up was just fine. Sometimes I guess one just slips by. But I would still buy Park Tools because I think they are great value (quality to price ratio).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.