Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you prefer and why?
There is something called Park 4 sided wrench. Also 4 types of park spoke wrench (black, red, green?) What is the diffference?

I use DT 2.0 spokes.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
R T F M

framesti said:
What do you prefer and why?
There is something called Park 4 sided wrench. Also 4 types of park spoke wrench (black, red, green?) What is the diffference?

I use DT 2.0 spokes.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81

For an infrequent, less experienced user the four sided Park has a nice grip on the nipple.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Are you building wheels, or just truing and maintaining? The Park wrenches work fine, and are well made, but the Spokey is very comfortable to the hand, and is more secure since it grabs 3 corners (and a portion of all 4 sides) rather than 2 as with the regular Park wrench. Like the Park 4-sided wrench it requires you to slip the wrench onto the shaft of the spoke and then slide it up onto the nipple, so that's a little slower than with the simple wrench, but IME the additional trouble is insignificant.

I have both, and I like Spokey. I haven't used the Park 4-side, so can't compare, but I know I like the ergonomics of the Spokey.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I have the Park 2-sided, the Park 4-sided, and the Spokey. The Park wrenches only get used if I can't find the Spokey and am in a hurry.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
I always carry a Park black spoke wrench with me, rubber banded to my tire levers......IN MY JERSEY POCKET !!

I keep a green one at home, because it works with both DT nips, and Mavic nips.

Red is for "old fashioned" Japanese big spokes.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I like Park spoke wrenches but I've never used the 4 sided ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts