Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I find it cumbersome to use while tensioning the wheel but fine when the wheel is built to record the final tension profile if you want to document such thing.

There is also another app that acoustically converts the resonance from plucking to tension kgf and draws the wheel tension profile which I used for a while but stopped when the novelty wore off.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it cumbersome to use while tensioning the wheel but fine when the wheel is built to record the final tension profile if you want to document such thing.

There is also another app that acoustically converts the resonance from plucking to tension kgf and draws the wheel tension profile which I used for a while but stopped when the novelty wore off.
Yeah, that makes sense. You want to put all your thought into the build instead of stopping and inputting the tension numbers.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have to disagree with DCGRIZ on this one. As an amateur who built my first set of wheels a few months ago I found the spoke tension graph extremely helpful. If you understand the info it's shows you, it takes the guess work out of truing the wheels- you can figure out which spoke(s) with what tension adjustment you need to get to the optimal tension balance vs. lateral runout in the wheel.

Yes it is a very time consuming tool to use, but as an amateur, you're probably not in a rush anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I have to disagree with DCGRIZ on this one. As an amateur who built my first set of wheels a few months ago I found the spoke tension graph extremely helpful. If you understand the info it's shows you, it takes the guess work out of truing the wheels- you can figure out which spoke(s) with what tension adjustment you need to get to the optimal tension balance vs. lateral runout in the wheel.

Yes it is a very time consuming tool to use, but as an amateur, you're probably not in a rush anyways.
Your point is well taken. When you build your first wheel, expediency should be your least concern. After you have built a few sets and you got the basics down, however, the stop-and-go process involved with this app is really cumbersome during the build and IMO rather destructing.
Not a bad idea though to use it after everything is done and the wheel is complete to document the final tension on each spoke for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts