Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, quite possibly one of the stupidest things anyone has ever done. I rode into the back of a parked car. Clipping along anywhere between 18 and 23mph with cars passing by my left, I turned my head over my left shoulder, turn back and down to check my computer and wham. dead stop, with head hitting back of car. Lots of rib and arm pain. Tell me Im not the only one to do this?? please.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I hit a wooden barricade on a trail one time. There hadn't been one there before, so I wasn't expecting it to be there. I was riding along with my head down. At the last moment I look up and there it is. Fortunately there was a grassy hill to the side. I just hit the barricade and fell over to my side on the grass. :rolleyes:

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I know, quite possibly one of the stupidest things anyone has ever done. I rode into the back of a parked car. Clipping along anywhere between 18 and 23mph with cars passing by my left, I turned my head over my left shoulder, turn back and down to check my computer and wham. dead stop, with head hitting back of car. Lots of rib and arm pain. Tell me Im not the only one to do this?? please.
Once. I was under the influence.

That was a longggggggggggg time ago.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Sorry I've never done that...thank god! At least some day you might be able to tell the story and everyone will laugh. Glad to hear you're ok...no mention of the bike, at 18 plus mph I assume it was damaged or destroyed. What did the owner of the car say to you?

I once had a 60's era Puch that had internal cable routing and the frame would cut the cable once in awhile. I just lost my front brake earlier in the day and was using the back while coming down a steep hill and snap the cable was gone, now I had no brakes and approaching a T intersection with me suppose to be stopping. I rode the bike into a the last yard before the intersection and jumped off the bike rolling onto the grass, the bike hit a 3 to 4 inch lip of a retaining wall and flipped over the edge flew out over the street and landed on top of a newer Transam smashing the windshield and denting the hood. Being a teenager I did what any good teenager would do...RUN!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surprisingly, not much damage to the bike. Front wheel is tweaked and I had to realign bars to fork. The bike is an aluminum mountain bike and all welds seem to be fine. Almost unbelievable. My body however, well let's just say it hurts to breathe. Not sure if I broke ribs, I know I hit my head cuz my helmet cracked. I rode the last 3 miles home. Some would say there is now way I could have been going that fast, but this is my regular route and that is how fast I usually go through there. The impact keeps going through my head. As far as the SUV owner, let's just say I am not a very good person.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does this mean you didn't let the owner know you effed up their car? This ought to aide cyclist car relations. What if you were hit by car and they drove off?
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Glad you aren't seriously injured!

We all get distracted and have accidents. I haven't hit anything as substantial as a parked car... yet. But inanimate things have seemed to have jumped into my path when I wasn't paying attention.

I wonder how that works... with the accident... and the law. I know laws vary everywhere but... I can't help but wonder if that is a "hit and run"? I wonder if any of my insurance would cover damage caused by my bike. Or if any/all damage caused would be out of pocket?

Did anyone hear or see you? If that's your regular route... it might not be so hard for the SUV owner to figure out who caused the damage. Heck... if the car [and owner] was home they may have even looked out the window and saw you.

135 Posts
About twenty years ago I was in the army. It was winter and I was riding my bike from the shacks to the Platoon lines on base. A mini van, apparently in a hurry passes me just before a stop sign, it then cuts in against the curb and hits the brakes...I plow right into the rear end causing some damage to the van...we exchanged some verbal pleasantries and we continue on, both angry. His fault but my problem as I find out a couple hours later that he just happens to be my new platoon commander...my life sucked for a while.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
X2

way to be a piece of ****
Are you saying you disagreed with Aim_x? Or agreeing with him?

Whatever, I think SCDUC should have stopped and left a note, he was and still is responsible for the damage, he should go back and make it good. If SCDUC would have been hit by a car and they took off as Adim_x stated I bet SCDUC would be here crying about it.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts

Whatever, I think SCDUC should have stopped and left a note, he was and still is responsible for the damage, he should go back and make it good. If SCDUC would have been hit by a car and they took off as Adim_x stated I bet SCDUC would be here crying about it.
Speaking of that, you still haven't paid me for the damage you did to my transam years ago. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts

Oh my no....

This is Davis Phinney in 1988, Liege-Bastogne-Liege. You are not alone!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've come close a few times. I vividly remember walking along and seeing a young woman years ago riding along a line of diagonally parked cars, briefly looking over at me, and plowing into the back of one the parked cars. I went over to help her. She was a bit shaken and banged up and her bike a little tweaked but still rideable. (No, we didn't strike up a relationship get married.)

Anyway, I find using a mirror to check for and keep track of overtaking vehicles helps me avoid doing these sorts of things.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My only concern with parked cars, is having a driver suddenly open their door as I'm passing. Otherwise, no, I've never done anything like that before. Hope I never will...

·
Registered
33 Posts

I agree with Admin_X. The OP is a piece of **** for damaging someone property and being to much of a ***** to own up to it. Scum like that piss me off, a real man takes responsibility for their actions. It's bad enough when a kid does it but it's completely unacceptable for an adult.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.