Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At LBS the other day and was informed my new bike is being shipped and man I'm excited. Z5i with DA 9000 I'm getting it with stock equipment but have a set of Mavic CCU's with tires glued up and ready, too bad it's middle of the winter. Will be hard looking at this bike till April.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! The Z5 is an amazing bike. Defo gonna be a fantastic riding year for you. Do post pics when you get the Z5. When I got mine, I immediately rode it the weekend it hit the mid 30s. There's still snow on the ground but.. Heck.. It was a nice ride. Getting a bike during the winter months surely beats cabin fever!:)

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There will be many enjoyable moments I'm sure. My son, two brother inlaws and a nephew all ride. There will be many pictures, one thing you can be sure of it will not be flat black on flat black with a little black for flair.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
....one thing you can be sure of it will not be flat black on flat black with a little black for flair.
lol...of course not, there's white lettering on the downtube!

but I appreciate your perspective; after several months of pure matte black, I'm slowly blinging up my SLi with blue bits like headcover, spacers, and skewers. So adventurous, maybe even add dark blue bar tape...

we await pics!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol...of course not, there's white lettering on the downtube!

but I appreciate your perspective; after several months of pure matte black, I'm slowly blinging up my SLi with blue bits like headcover, spacers, and skewers. So adventurous, maybe even add dark blue bar tape...

we await pics!
The frame isn't black on this one!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations! I too have a Z5. They have solid geometry, classic looks, and the Goldie Locks stamp of approval...not too stiff, not too soft, just right! Oh, how about the weight? The bikes are so awesome, I almost forget about the crazy light attribute!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill admit that I'm a touch concerned about stiffness, I'm a Clyde who loves to hammer the hills and jump for town signs whenever I can. Parlee, the LBS and guys I know who own them all assure me it will be fine especially with my wheels. Maybe next bike will be full custom.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Ill admit that I'm a touch concerned about stiffness, I'm a Clyde who loves to hammer the hills and jump for town signs whenever I can. Parlee, the LBS and guys I know who own them all assure me it will be fine especially with my wheels. Maybe next bike will be full custom.
I've had the Z5 SLi since April, and am no lightweight, typically weigh right around 190 pounds. When I jump on it, it takes off just as quickly or even quicker as the Tarmac Pro SL3 I had previously. I haven't flexed anything BB-wise, ever, as far as I can tell. I run on D-A 7900-24 tubeless wheels. Just enjoy, and don't worry. If you haven't ridden one on a long test ride, you'll have a big smile on your face the first time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear. I'm currently at 220 but this is the lightest I've ever been at this time if the year. I'm hoping for sub 190 by August. I work Monday, Tuesday my luck it will come in on one of those days. Either way it will only be on rollers till April, the old Opus will continue pulling bad weather duty or the Madone till it sells.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey congrats Youcoming! I know how you feel as my Z5 SL just arrived at my LBS. can't wait to build it up also, thinking SRAM Red. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can experience the famous Parlee ride that everyone raves about. hey are you also in Toronto? I got mine from Blacksmith Cycles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm just east of you in Oshawa. I've had SRAM since 2009, can't wait to get back on Shimano. I had SRAM Force on my main bike and 105 on my backup, I just prefer the quiet and slick smooth shifting of Shimano plus I had issues with shifters and warranty return. Took 5 months to get a shifter on warranty. Red is lighter but ill take the weight penalty for durability. I should add I love the double tap feature of SRAM and wish I could have the best of both. I contemplated Record but just before I bought new bike I had a chance to play with the new DA and loved it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.