Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What product lines / models would have been current around the mid 1980's? Either Campy, Shimano or Suntour.

I have an old custom lugged steel frame from that era that has been through many parts groupings, and I'd like to bring it back to period correct stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
No Sunset for Suntour..........

I'll take the Suntour angle.

The Suntour factory in Osaka may of closed its doors in 1994, but for many of us the sometimes forgotten Suntour gruppo's live on. I am presently restoring two mid 80's steeds with Suntour components (a time trial bike with a Superbe Pro gruppo and a road bike with a NOS Sprint gruppo).
I guess my passion for Suntour components comes from when I started cycling in the mid 80's - I had Suntour Cyclone on my first race bike, which was a Tarini ADX and then built up a Kenevans with Suntour Sprint. Most of the scratch riders in the club at the time rode Superbe Pro. Suntour was more popular here than Shimano and not many people could afford Campagnolo.

Suntour produced three main road gruppo's around the mid 80's:-
Top of the range:- Suntour Superbe Pro
Mid Range:- Suntour Sprint
Recreational Range:- Suntour Cyclone
and later gruppos that were produced from mid 80's to 1994 also included:- Ole (white like Shimano's Sante), SL, GPX, Blaze, Edge and RT.

Suntour's Superbe Pro competition components are one of the very best bicycle components you can buy. Their simple and elegant styling, outstanding quality in materials and finish, extremely precise design and manufacturing tolerances and race-proven efficiency assure optimum performance and looks for any custom frame. Suntour Superbe Pro components were ridden by various teams in the pro peloton - Buckler, SuperConfex and few others.

Suntour introduced the Sprint gruppo, price between Superbe Pro and Cyclone, to compete with Shimano 600 Ultegra. Suntour Sprint was splendid value, everything looked expensive and the finish was superbe.

Suntour Cyclone components are the right choice when budgetary limitations require that a fine competition or recreational bicycle frame to be equipped with affordable components

Prices for some Suntour components have ramped up over recent years and parts are getting very hard to track down, especially chains and chain-rings. I have got most of my Suntour components from older established bicycle shops which have had various parts tucked out the back that nobody wanted.

So if you want a componentry gruppo other than Shimano or Campagnolo, consider Suntour.

Attached few Suntour links below:-

Sunset for Suntour article - by Frank J. Berto
https://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

Suntour Bicycle Componentry (Flickr)
https://www.flickr.com/groups/suntour/

Suntour Brochures
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/SunTour/

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Superbe Pro is outstanding componentry. A lot of us thought in the early/mid '80's that it would be the group to put Campy "on the trailer" what with Campy more or less resting on their laurels with Nuovo/Super Record.

Then after the "marketing" disaster of AX, Shimano stole a march with the first DuraAce 7400 group. A heck of a lot of us with Campy went right past Suntour to Shimano.

Problem is that nice Suntour stuff is getting hard to find and you will pay a premium for NOS or good condition parts. One of our customers has an original Fuji Opus with full Superbe Pro in pristine condition. Stunning machine.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
agree, but don't the cranks/BBs use the campy taper? there was/is something odd like that about 'em

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the Suntour stuff also...

The frame I'm wanting to rebuild originally came with Sprint, but at the time I was all about getting STI on there, so I sold the Sprint stuff and got Shimano 600/Ultegra. Too bad.

I do still have a set of Suntour shifters, but I'm not sure what model they are. If anyone can tell from the photos, I'd appreciate it!

I'm also thinking of pilfering the Shimano 600 6-speed parts from my wife's old Cannondale. She'd never know, as long as I replace it with something that works well :p

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Johnny LaRoux, are those 6/7/friction shifters?

The '89 Bridgestone RB-1 that my brother bought from a garage sale came with a nearly complete Suntour GPX groupset. The front derailleur and pedals were changed by a previous owner. I've since added STI shifters, changed the RD to an older Shimano 600 one, new wheels, a smaller inner chainring (39 from 42), and Look Keo Classic pedals. I'd restore it to period correct components but I've since sold the bike to my nephew and he's not competent enough on this (or any) bike that I trust him to use downtube shifters without crashing every other time he goes to shift. I'm keeping most of the GPX stuff just in case, though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does Shimano 600EX stack up against Suntour from that era? As I mentioned, my wifes bike has a full 600EX group (6 speed indexed), that has very few miles on it. It's nice looking stuff, and seems to work pretty well.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Johnny LaRoux said:
How does Shimano 600EX stack up against Suntour from that era? As I mentioned, my wifes bike has a full 600EX group (6 speed indexed), that has very few miles on it. It's nice looking stuff, and seems to work pretty well.

600 was good... one notch below d/a, so equivalent to today's ultegra

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Squidward said:
If I'm not mistaken, yesteryear's 600 is today's Ultegra. Didn't they sell it as "600 Ultegra" for a while?
Yes, that was the Grey painted 600, with the Tri Color bar under the logo. I had some of that on another bike. According to Sheldon Brown's site, when 600 went from 6 speed to 7 speed it became grey, then 7 to 8 speed it became 600 / Ultegra.

The stuff I have is the silver 6 speed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Suntour Cyclone 7000

Johnny LaRoux said:
I do still have a set of Suntour shifters, but I'm not sure what model they are. If anyone can tell from the photos, I'd appreciate it!
Suntour shifters look like they are from the (1987) Suntour Cyclone 7000 Gruppo.
Model Number:- SL-CL10B (Indexed/Friction, Braze-On)
Weight:- 80 grams.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have one bike with Suntour Superbe Pro...

It is an Univega Competizione with 6 speed friction shifting Superbe Pro. Actually it shifts better that my 6 speed Shimano Dura Ace AX and EX equiped bikes. I like it. I sometimes feel the frame is not worthy of this level of components but that is the way it came so I haven't parted it our yet. Not too wild about the red paint either... time to get out the blue spray paint! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Mid 80's, you could go with first generation 7400 Dura Ace.. 6 speed, Index shifting...Very nice stuff
Very nice stuff...I actually have DA hubs / Wolber rims and a DA headset from that group already.

Zmudshark has some 7400 derailleurs and calipers as well, but shifters seem to be the odd bit out. I remember reading that 7400 6 speed only worked with Dura Ace 7400 shifters. Is that correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.