Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my 'cross bike ready for the season, and the front hub feels pretty grindy. So I cracked it open and the cups look fine but the cones are a bit chewed.

The bike is an '09 Jake. The front hub shell has no visible branding, but both the QR skewer and the spec sheet say it's a Formula.

Anyone know how available the cones for these hubs are? I'd like to get the wheel through another season.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clicked around and it doesn't look like their parts are online either.

I'll call my mechanic later today and see if he has anything. But I won't be too surprised if I end up replacing the whole wheel. I don't know if it makes sense to try to move the rim over - it's nothing special, and has a couple seasons on it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sorry, no their website doesn't have alot of information, but a shop should be able to order any parts for you either direct or through a place like QBP. I replaced a Velocity/Formula Campy freehub with a Shimano/SRAM one. Took less than a week to get to my shop from the time the order was placed.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from my shop. The owner told me that getting replacement parts for a Formula hub, at least the one I have, is not happening. He sold me a Deore LX hub with about the same flange size, so I'm going to gently unlace my wheel later this evening and try to transfer everything over onto the new hub. Fingers crossed that it works, although it's not the end of the world if it doesn't - I'll just have to buy new spokes (and get that much more practice building wheels. :p )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts