Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What Would Youse Do?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend is busy. And we have to choose. One or the other. I might be able to pull off both if there's enough Redbull to go around. But Karen will likely fade in the early AM...

The choices:

1. Dear friends are moving to Portland from SF. Burningman friends. They're throwing a big get away party in a warehouse. Lots of adults acting like kids, and kids where they probably shouldn't be. Fire, music, fun.

2. John Perry Barlow, another Burningman friend. He googles well BTW. (dead lyricist, EFF founder) He's throwing a party for a party's sake in SF. Another weekend long party. Less fire, but lots of music, and hob-nobbing. The guest list includes folks like Peter Coyote, Bob Weir, Robert Hunter, Mickey Hart, Larry Harvey, and so on...

WWYD?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
This weekend is busy. And we have to choose. One or the other. I might be able to pull off both if there's enough Redbull to go around. But Karen will likely fade in the early AM...

The choices:

1. Dear friends are moving to Portland from SF. Burningman friends. They're throwing a big get away party in a warehouse. Lots of adults acting like kids, and kids where they probably shouldn't be. Fire, music, fun.

2. John Perry Barlow, another Burningman friend. He googles well BTW. (dead lyricist, EFF founder) He's throwing a party for a party's sake in SF. Another weekend long party. Less fire, but lots of music, and hob-nobbing. The guest list includes folks like Peter Coyote, Bob Weir, Robert Hunter, Mickey Hart, Larry Harvey, and so on...

WWYD?
dunno...I think I'd party with Barlow, but both seem cool. Burner friends of mine are talking about some big Burn hoo-ha down in TX somewhere soon. You know about that one? I thought Barlow lived in WY? Did he move to SF?
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Portland sounds a little more original/free-form to me. You could really get up to some whacky sh*t. I love warehouse parties.

But I'll be staying home so I can be fresh for a ride tomorrow, so what do I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
I'd probably stay home, but that is because I am an introverted moron, so go to the Portland bash, more fire is always good, have fun.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Portland sounds a little more original/free-form to me. You could really get up to some whacky sh*t. I love warehouse parties.

But I'll be staying home so I can be fresh for a ride tomorrow, so what do I know.
Yeah but I'm guessing that Cooper's been to plenty of those kinds of events. The Barlow thing sounded like it might be a bit differen--then again maybe not.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah but I'm guessing that Cooper's been to plenty of those kinds of events. The Barlow thing sounded like it might be a bit differen--then again maybe not.
sounds more polite and who-you-know, etc.

i'd rather have fun with friends.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bocephus Jones II said:
dunno...I think I'd party with Barlow, but both seem cool. Burner friends of mine are talking about some big Burn hoo-ha down in TX somewhere soon. You know about that one? I thought Barlow lived in WY? Did he move to SF?
There's an Austin regional burn, lots of 'em around the world now. It's coming up soon. Another biggie in SD, maybe atp....

Barlow's still in WY. But he throws and goes to big parties in SF, LA and BRC.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haiku d'etat said:
sounds more polite and who-you-know, etc.

i'd rather have fun with friends.
not polite, but not as firesome as the other party, even though the founder of Burningman (Larry Harvey) will be at Barlow's. I think I may need to dose my wife with Ritalin, so she can stay awake for both parties.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
not polite, but not as firesome as the other party, even though the founder of Burningman (Larry Harvey) will be at Barlow's. I think I may need to dose my wife with Ritalin, so she can stay awake for both parties.
I'm thinking old hippy aristocracy vs neu-hippy mayhem. Wrong?
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm thinking old hippy aristocracy vs neu-hippy mayhem. Wrong?
Yeah, that's a pretty good sumation.

You know what would throw a curve ball in this whole shebang? If OES were gonna be at one or the other...
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
You all are talking parties?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Yeah, that's a pretty good sumation.

You know what would throw a curve ball in this whole shebang? If OES were gonna be at one or the other...
LOL! I picture him showing up with his dawgs and .410 high as a kite on Jimson Weed--shooting at imaginary bats in the sky.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
Portland. There's a reason you put it up as the first option, le party pour le party will rehappen next month/summer/whathaveyou anyways and you don't have friends moving long distance on a regular basis (I hope).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
bob weir and mickey hart.....im there, how often do you get to party with a few of the living members of the grateful dead? If its often, i guess go to your friends party.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
Way too many old farts at the SF party. It will probably be a really pretentious affair. VIP lounge and all that. The Portland party will have better attitude and better chicks. I married myself a Portland girl!
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mohair_chair said:
Way too many old farts at the SF party. It will probably be a really pretentious affair. VIP lounge and all that. The Portland party will have better attitude and better chicks. I married myself a Portland girl!
Better chicks? That'd be Barlow's party. My wife's tickled w/ the idea of doing both :) Portland party till 1:00AM, Barlow's from 2:00-6:00. All we're worried about is the party our daughter will throw...

Note: this reply sent via mobile phone from tradeshow floor!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
when I first read "Barlow's Bash" I thought "could it be?" read down and saw it was. I would try to hit up the first 2. Get to your friend's warehouse party really early then hit up the Barlow Bash(or vice versa). Whatever you do be sure to get all kinds of pictures and autographs at the Barlow bash.



not.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
when I first read "Barlow's Bash" I thought "could it be?" read down and saw it was. I would try to hit up the first 2. Get to your friend's warehouse party really early then hit up the Barlow Bash(or vice versa). Whatever you do be sure to get all kinds of pictures and autographs at the Barlow bash.



not.
Coops well connected and all that, and etc, HTH!
 

·
Coco Puff
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Barlow's sounds like a great time. Portland is a cool city tho.

hmmmm, Wish I had this decision- I'm gonna be stuck doing a dam home show all frikkin weekend :(
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top