Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody recently told me to go ride highway 1, so I took their advice and went.

My route was 46 (Green Valley Rd) out of Paso, north to Cambria (stopped at Moonstone Beach for a little break), and a little further north to Hearst Castle.

Saw several cyclists (roadies, randonneurs, and tandems), and they all seemed much fitter than me. I had to stop a few times on Green Valley Rd. 46 was by far the best part of the ride though (even with the stopping); it was warmer, less windy, and smoother pavement than the coast. ...but there are some long ups on 46 -- especially on the way back (or was I just tired?). Highway 1 is beautiful, but I didn't go past Hearst Castle, so I pretty much just road the flatish section between Cambria and San Simeon. The head/crosswind on the way up sucked, but the tailwind back down was nice. The cheese grater pavement patches were not so cool...

Overall it was a neat ride. A little longer, hillier, and windier than I'm really ready for, but I didn't collapse either. I won't be doing it again anytime soon though. Kinda hurtin' -- this was the longest ride I've ever attempted, and I'm still way out of shape. Total was about 65 miles and nearly 5 hours (on the bike).

Here are some pix.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Looks pretty over there. Since you specifically mentioned wind, cheesegrater pavement (huh?), and climbs but said nothing about traffic, I take it traffic isn`t too bad on that route? Don`t worry too much about the other riders looking more fit- 65 miles isn`t the Furnace Creek 508, but ain`t nothing to sneeze at either. How many of your coworkers, fishing buddies, etc could do the ride you just did? Good job!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Traffic was slight. Not too much on 46 or 1, but the shoulders are pretty wide on both roads as well. Even though most of the cars were moving pretty quickly, I was more concerned with the wind.

BTW - most of the pavement on 1 is OK, but there are some patches that are pretty rough, and there's some sand/gravel to look out for especially on the Southbound side of the road.

True that most people aren't gonna do that ride, but then again I work with some pretty hardcore roadies in the bay area. You know, the type that do Old La Honda or Page Mill for lunch. I am pretty happy that I made it, but I probably should have turned around at the top of 46. That hill on the way back was tough.

I definitely learned about fuel too. I ate four gels, a box of raisins, and a bottle of Heed while riding, but I could have used more. Two water bottles didn't seem like enough either. Next time I'll bring three, with two on the frame and one in a pocket (this time I just had one on the frame and one in a pocket). There's just no place to refill along 46.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Good for you to expand your horizons-and sharing with us!

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Thanks for the ride report!

This is a ride that I plan to do in July on my tandem; however, I want to come back on either 41 or some road in between. Do you know if there is another road between 46 and 41 that crosses back from the coast? I’ve looked at Google Earth, and there appears to be one road, but I can’t tell if it is paved. I don’t live in the area, so I can’t check it out before I arrive for the ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
41 is definitely paved, but I haven't been living in the area long (2 weeks now), so I'm not familiar with the road conditions (shoulder, pavement, traffic). That route to Morro Bay is definitely on my to-do list though; it looks a little less challenging than 46 -- shorter to the coast by about 10 miles and less total up. It looks like a nice ride.

I'll post a report when I get around to making the ride. I should get out that way again before July. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, you weren't asking about 41. :confused:

I am planning more exploring, so I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Hwy 41 on a bike. Its a beautiful drive, but it is very narrow in places with no shoulder and cars moving pretty quickly. When I was in college many years ago, locals called it "dead man's highway".

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I don't know if I could do that ride. I think I'd run off the road starring at the scenery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts