Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
When you stopped, you cancelled the "wind chill" effect of moving through the air which caused you to quickly over heat and pass out. More liquids and a cool down to gradually bring your body temp down both would have helped.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Edited: This looks like your issue

Hypovolemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hypovolemia is characterized by salt (sodium) depletion and thus differs from dehydration, which is defined as excessive loss of body water"
I doubt it. If you are experiencing this, hyponatremia, severe dehydration, or many of the other things mentioned in this thread then there will be major performance problems. It is like bonking but even worse and just consuming calories does not fix it in the short term, even if they those calories contain electrolytes. The hole that has been dug is too deep to fill in a short time. You will know that you are in a bad way because you will be struggling to go keep cadence on flat ground in a low gear.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Back in the summer I was chatting with a cyclist at a rest stop during a long charity ride who mentoned that he is diabetic. He said that Diet Coke elevates his glucose levels. I was quite surprised to hear that since it contains an artificial sweetner. Have you experienced the same?
No, but I rarely drink the stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a 90 mile ride with 6000 feet of elevation gain, in 95 degree heat, I dismounted, and about 15 minutes later passed out and just keeled over. Never happened before. Two doctors could find nothing wrong but said maybe I could have prevented this with a cool down ride at the end. Is it a good idea to do a cool down ride after a long hard ride? Do others do this?
After a 30 minute Crit I passed out 10 minute into a cool down. This is more dangerous because I was still on my bike. So far the best theory is from low blood pressure. Where the views in the legs are still expanded but the heart rate has shown down. K

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had it happen to me. I think it's a consequence of low heart rate. When standing from a squatting/sitting position, sometimes my blood pressure momentarily drops to 60/40. Then my heart rate catches back up and I'm OK. I've only actually fallen twice, but scared people both times.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've had a few dizzy light headed spells on the bike in the last year. Feeling like I might pass out, usually after a ~2 minute climb on the colder months right at the moment I let off the power. I chalk it up to the beta blocker medication I am on which helps regulate my heart rhythm and BP and has dizziness as a known side effect. Hasn't happened this summer though, only in the winter and spring. One of these times I might fall down so good thing I wear a helmet. Luckily it's mainly happened when riding slow but I've also had this dizzy feeling when riding through dark tunnels of trees at times, again more in the spring and winter. I find my BP gets pretty low on weeks when I ride a lot so I;ve long gone off the usual BP meds but the beta blocker remains essential according to the cardiologist

·
Registered
792 Posts
You need to talk to a cardiac doctor specifically to be assured all is well. This isnt something to be taken likely and the doctors here aren't real doctors. I once passed out after only drinking maybe 6 beers and I have no idea what happened but woke up with a sore ass. Get it checked out.

·
Opus was just napping
21,498 Posts
Who would think that a rape joke would go over well?

·
Registered
792 Posts
my job doesnt start for another couple weeks and this and that and ill be better next time. im not saying im sorry, I'm just claiming I'm better.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
my job doesnt start for another couple weeks and this and that and ill be better next time. im not saying im sorry, I'm just claiming I'm better.
So who were you in your previous RBR incarnation before you were banned and had to create a new account?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts