Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

If while cycling a arrive at the illustrated circumstance I would

• A) Stop behind (or in line with) the gold Honda.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • B) Pass the gold Honda (and all the others in front of it).

Votes: 129 98.5%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a long thread with much discussion regarding passing on the right and moving to the front when cars are stopped for a light.

Here's a specific circumstance.

There's is a light at the top of the hill just out of view.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would ride all the way up considering the shoulder lane, but I would be very careful as I approached the light due to the possibility of cars entering the shoulder to turn right.

Unless the cyclist is riding in the traffic lane, and from the photo it appears not, then the cyclist is not impeding traffic. If the cars are not held up by the cyclist, a cyclist riding all the way up to the light is not a factor for them to deal with. Of course the local regulations may play into that, but I would treat the shoulder as if it was a bike lane and ride accordingly.

·
badass
383 Posts
so stupid, of cause I'll pass all of them. If I stop every time I see a standing car I won't get anywhere. I bet that here, where I live, there will be another "lane" of cars on the shoulder and another one to the left.

·
Master debator.
8,817 Posts
I don't ride in the traffic lane normally with traffic, I ride on the shoulder. So why would I stop behind the last car at this particular instance? I'd roll right up to the front because my "lane" is clear.

·
badass
383 Posts
what would you do if you were riding on this road, either direction? I train there ocassionally but if the jam is that jong I'd rather go somewhere else. I usually pass the jam on the left since there is not much space left between the curb and cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXH4RpTtCKs&feature=related

that's Moscow, 5 km from my house, a typical jam 1-1.5km long that happens every morning.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nOOky said:
I don't ride in the traffic lane normally with traffic, I ride on the shoulder. So why would I stop behind the last car at this particular instance? I'd roll right up to the front because my "lane" is clear.
As you likely read in the other post, there's appears to be a minority of cyclists who feel this is not a circumstantial decision. To paraphrase what I think some posters were saying in the other thread: "Regardless of the circumstances of road condition, traffic, infrastructure present, and other conditions, cyclist should not pass cars on the right and force them to pass you a second time."

I posted this as a poll to see if anyone, given this circumstance in the extreme, would still feel that a cyclist should NOT pass the gold Honda.

I'm culling through my other photos looking for an example on the other end. A circumstnce where there's inches (not feet) of space on the right with a line of cars backed up at a red light. I might not have one, since the circumstances called for me to have my head in the game, not taking snapshots. If I find one, I'll post that with the same questions. If anyone else has one, throw the poll up.

Scot

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ha Ha, that picture is only 1/2 mile from my home. Yes, here in Minne-snowta we have many roads with these nice wide shoulders. A fringe benefit of the extra space needed for snowplows to move the mounds of snow for 5 months of the year. Scot, you should show them a pic of that same stretch of road right now, where there's a 4 foot high snowbank lining the road.

This question of passing on the right is simple. There is no law against doing it, so the only decision to be made is whether it is safe for the cyclist to do so. That's a decision for the cyclist only, as of course the people in cars have virtually no safety issue to be concerned with, and they may only be "incovenienced" by the cyclist on the right in a minor way.

Scot, you should show a pic of 86th st. It's a 2-lane each way with no median or shoulder. Ironically, it's also a pot hole ridden road that's actually marked with signs as a "bike route". I used to commute on this every day, and when it was busy I would scoot up along on the right past the line of cars to get all the way up to the intersection. But, I would often wait in the crosswalk at the intersection for the line of cars to pass me or for a gap to open before getting going again. Again, I did this FOR MY OWN SAFETY.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GearDaddy said:
Scot, you should show a pic of 86th st. It's a 2-lane each way with no median or shoulder.
86th had the four to three lane conversion done to it last summer. It now has a wide shoulder from Penn to Old Shakopee.

Scot

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
86th had the four to three lane conversion done to it last summer. It now has a wide shoulder from Penn to Old Shakopee.

Scot
Yeah, I know. 90th too. Thank you city council for "traffic calming" efforts.

I was just trying to point out that these "bike route" signs that you see in many towns are mere suggestions. There is in fact no guarantee that the road is in fact suitable for a nice, relaxing bike ride. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I would pass on the right and wouldn't think twice about it, but would be careful to look out for cars that might move right onto the shoulder. The way I see it, it's perfectly legal for a car to pass a bike at any time, so why can't a cyclist return do likewise? Near intersections, I generally won't pass on the right if there aren't many cars waiting or there is no shoulder or it's a narrow road with little room to pass. Also, I don't pass on the right at an intersection if the traffic is moving because that is just begging to get right-hooked.

·
Registered
27,566 Posts
Unanimous agreement so far!

It's the proverbial tortoise and hare. Bikes take up about three feet of road space. Why disallow them passage when the big dinosaurs are going nowhere? That's just using the advantage of your vehicle. If drivers get pi$$ed, well, tough. Why should bicyclists be scapegoats for their frustrations entirely of their own making, huh? When I'm behind the wheel of my car in such a jam and some bicyclist glides past me as if I weren't there, I think, "Hey, I shoulda taken the bike, damn!"

Yeah, agree with dot. If there's not enough room on the right, no problem. I'll just skirt between the cars and pass on the left! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't stop behind the cars because its going to be slower for me.. Or any other reason.. I feel its much safer to up front visible.. But I try to time the lights.. Meaning on my way up to the front if I see the lights turning green, I will slow down and once the light does turn green, I signal whatever car I'm in front of at that time to let them know I'm there..

If I'm really really close to the light, I will get in front of the car.. Just so they don't turn at the light and swipe me..

Works everytime and most drivers are happy about it..

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
when I see things like this I only had to laugh and really scratch my head at all the stuff americans complain about the "share the road issue"

Have you ever seen how narrow are our roads in Europe ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was at a light yesterday afternoon and my wife said one of your buddies are behind us. I looked back and it was a roadie sitting behind us in the turn lane. We were 5 cars back. She asked if I do that, and I told her no F'ing way. I go to the front no questions asked. I need to be visible.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would pass on the right, but be careful of cars coming into the shoulder to turn/be mean. If you waited with the honda, the light would turn green and you would keep up with the cars for a bit but eventually move to the shoulder anyway and the cars would pass you.

The only time I get in line and wait is when I'm in a city or something where there is no shoulder and I've claimed my spot in that lane and I'm just riding right down the middle and following car rules.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
To all those who say to pull to the front of the line, would you do the same if you were riding a scooter or motorcycle? It also fits nicely on the shoulder...

I would take my place in the line of cars like any other vehicle. Either bikes are vehicles, subject to the rights and responsibilities of same, or they're not. You can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Opus51569 said:
To all those who say to pull to the front of the line, would you do the same if you were riding a scooter or motorcycle? It also fits nicely on the shoulder...

I would take my place in the line of cars like any other vehicle. Either bikes are vehicles, subject to the rights and responsibilities of same, or they're not. You can't have it both ways.
you're comparing apples to oranges.

There's no way when riding on Ft. Lauderdale beach that I'll sit 20 cars back and try to make the light.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.