Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently flatted on a self sealing tube. The holes were actually small, but the tube did not seal. The chemical oozes out around the holes. I patched the two holes. Can I expect the patches to hold, or will the chemical prevent a permanent bond?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Hard to say

daniell said:
I recently flatted on a self sealing tube. The holes were actually small, but the tube did not seal. The chemical oozes out around the holes. I patched the two holes. Can I expect the patches to hold, or will the chemical prevent a permanent bond?
If the rubber around the hole was clean before you applied the rubber cement, then the patch should hold just fine. OTOH, if there was a thin coat of slime, it's hard to believe that it would stick. If I were you, I'd be carrying a couple of spare tubes for a while when you're using this patched one.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I use sealant in my tubes and I have successfully patched them. I've also unsuccessfully patched them. In the latter case, the patch held mostly, but allowed a slow leak. Not a big deal unless you discover it while doing a fast right hand turn and the tire tries to walk off the rim sideways.

Just check your tire hardness on the wheel with the patched tube regularly, and you'll be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.