Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
FWIW, if you have the money Pauls Neo Retros are very very nice indeed. I am running them front and rear on my Orbea. Leg clearance can be an issue for some riders in the rear though.

If money is an issue, Shimano has a newer canti brake out with decent OEM spec that seems to do the trick for a reasonable amount.

:)

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
If you go Paul's...You could try the neo retro front and touring in the rear. This will solve the leg clearance problem and it has plenty of power for the rear. It also uses a shorter straddle wire which might work out better depending on how your hanger is setup on your frame. The downside is it seems to have a bit less mud clearance.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
have Spooky's and Froggleggs

like them both.if $ is no object get the pauls.I'm old school and on a budget so I'm okay with these models

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tektro

I have tektro canteliver and they suck:mad2: . I upgraded the pads to "Kool stop"(?) and the stopping is much improoved in dry weather. Although I was cought in the rain 2 days ago and the bike just would not stop....Does any one know if new Shimano is much better, or I should spend the money on Paul's , Flogglegs or Spooky? The cost:cryin: of Paul's brakes will be higher than the bike's worth.
Does any one know if V-brakes work better with road levers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Might be the setup of your current brakes? Anyway, I have a few bikes set up with Paul's and there's nothing better...I think they're worth the money. I've also tried the older Shimano XTR's and I couldn't get them to work half as well as the Paul's no matter how much I messed with 'em. If you're on a budget, Avid or the newer Shimanos are both good ways to go, but I wouldn't mess with V-brakes. They're too powerful for CX tires (read:skidding everywhere) and you have to get little cable adapter thingies. Too much hassle.

Ab24029 said:
I have tektro canteliver and they suck:mad2: . I upgraded the pads to "Kool stop"(?) and the stopping is much improoved in dry weather. Although I was cought in the rain 2 days ago and the bike just would not stop....Does any one know if new Shimano is much better, or I should spend the money on Paul's , Flogglegs or Spooky? The cost:cryin: of Paul's brakes will be higher than the bike's worth.
Does any one know if V-brakes work better with road levers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.