Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I posted this on the other forum but will post it here too....

I saw a couple posts 1-2 weeks ago from some who are using these.
I just got some of these nifty gizmos to install on the cx bike I'm building. It will be a 1x8 or 1x9 setup. So I'm trying to decide whether to get 8sp or 9sp Shimano barcons. Of course it doesn't matter if I use friction mode on the shifters.

Since I never have used thumb shifters, do you guys find you use them in index (SIS?) mode or in friction mode most often? Does the SIS mode work well? ie. Do you think I'll be most happy using index or SIS mode?

Thanks!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
bud wiser said:
Okay, I posted this on the other forum but will post it here too....

I saw a couple posts 1-2 weeks ago from some who are using these.
I just got some of these nifty gizmos to install on the cx bike I'm building. It will be a 1x8 or 1x9 setup. So I'm trying to decide whether to get 8sp or 9sp Shimano barcons. Of course it doesn't matter if I use friction mode on the shifters.

Since I never have used thumb shifters, do you guys find you use them in index (SIS?) mode or in friction mode most often? Does the SIS mode work well? ie. Do you think I'll be most happy using index or SIS mode?

Thanks!
Personally, I love the new click shifting on my mtn bike. I'd been riding a pair of 6sp XT thumbies friction since I built up my mtn bike last year.

The clicks kick arse!

Mike

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
I'd for sure use the index mode. the friction is there for back up incase a hanger gets bent and knocks everything wacky. I've used nothing buyt thumbies on my mtnbikes, but can't quite see how they can be all that usefull on a crosser. They way I ride, my hands area always on top of the drops, ready to shift from there. The tops of the bars are just too clase for my taste I guess. Of course, I also only use a SS for a cross bike too, so I'm not really shifting am I?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts