Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

Can someone here advise whether the elastomer zertz portion of the seatpost must remain above the top tube or can the seatpost be vertically adjusted without regard to the amount inserted into the seat tube?

Thanks,
mdl

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, and I'm certainly not a bike fit expert, but having to insert the seatpost that far into the frame suggests to me that the frame is way too big for you. Have you had someone check your fit?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..why the frame is a bit large

Dr_John;

Thanks for the reply.

The frame is a bit large, but it's a compromise. I've short legs and a long torso. The sloping top tube (it's an '08 Sequoia Comp), allows for reasonable standover height, while the effective top tube length allows for pretty good hand/back/seat position.

Short of going custom, this was the best alternative for the money.

The seat post isn't quite to the point of being that far inserted so as to cover the elastomers in the post, but it's close.

My main concern on the post is structural. I suppose I can always swap out the post for a non-carbon one if this doesn't work out.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Mark_TN said:
Dr_John;

Thanks for the reply.

The frame is a bit large, but it's a compromise. I've short legs and a long torso. The sloping top tube (it's an '08 Sequoia Comp), allows for reasonable standover height, while the effective top tube length allows for pretty good hand/back/seat position.

Short of going custom, this was the best alternative for the money.

The seat post isn't quite to the point of being that far inserted so as to cover the elastomers in the post, but it's close.

My main concern on the post is structural. I suppose I can always swap out the post for a non-carbon one if this doesn't work out.
If you look at the rear of the seatpost you should see silver reference lines. If you notice, they stop where the insert begins. I take that as Specialized trying to tell us something. :)
IMO, if you can set your saddle height and still be in the range of those bars (as in, you can still see a line even if it's level with the top of the seat clamp ), you're good to go. :thumbsup:

(Do I need a disclaimer here? You know, lawyer-speak??) :eek:

· Registered
2,931 Posts
Got it.

I've got two Specialized seatposts with Zertz and I just checked them. As PJ352 mentions, the usable insert range is going to be where the markings are, but at the extreme on one of mine, it's tough to tell. Definitely the Zertz should not be in the frame. I checked the Specialized documentation. Of course a lot about minimum insert and that's usually marked on carbon seatposts, but nothing about maximum, perhaps because it's pretty rare tha a seatpost would need to be inserted that far.

Personally, I'd just contact Specialized for a definitive answer. I'd be interested in knowing what you hear from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.