Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so there are a few portions of one route i ride that has a paved bake path run parallel with the street. parts of the path are chewed, others are fine. but there are stop signs on the path at business driveways (street doesnt have to stop). if i am on the CX bike i sometimes ride the path. if i am on the roadie or fixie i will use the street.

should i ride the path or stay on the street? is there a hard and fast rule here?

· il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
Most of my commute is on a busy thoroughfare but one leg of the trip is on a paved multiuse waterfront path, and that's where I really have to keep my wits about me. Believe it or not, it's not rollerbladers, pedestrians or dog leashes that are the biggest potential hazard - it's other cyclists: folks on mountain bikes with their heads in the clouds seemingly; roadies flying by (like me).
I wish there was a commuter cycling lane on the street all the way in - one in which there were no potholes, no manhole covers, and no stones and broken glass.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
weltyed said:
so there are a few portions of one route i ride that has a paved bake path run parallel with the street. parts of the path are chewed, others are fine. but there are stop signs on the path at business driveways (street doesnt have to stop). if i am on the CX bike i sometimes ride the path. if i am on the roadie or fixie i will use the street.

should i ride the path or stay on the street? is there a hard and fast rule here?
In the circumstance you describe, I would be on the street. The path traffic control would make me select the street. There are 29 states with some kind of mandatory sidepath rule. Here's North Dakota's as an example:
3. Wherever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and may not use the roadway.​
Assuming a similiar law does not exist in your jurisdiction you can pick.
Scot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.