Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might need to replace the springs on an old hub. Since I doubt I will get spares, and I dont want to wait will try to make them myself.

However I was wondering if these springs are usually hardened, or I can just bend a piece of stainless into shape.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
I might need to replace the springs on an old hub. Since I doubt I will get spares, and I dont want to wait will try to make them myself.

However I was wondering if these springs are usually hardened, or I can just bend a piece of stainless into shape.
These springs are made of (wait for it) spring steel. Bending a piece of stainless into shape will not in any way work. Unless you can find OEM replacements or strip a similar hub for the parts, you are SOL. A machine shop might be able to help but would probably cost as much as a new hub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allright, thanks for the responses!. The hub appears to be an old ambrosio. It came with Ambrosio excellence rims. I think it's one of those hubs which was designed to work with Ambrosio cogs. Judging by the various photos, these pawls and springs are standardised to a degree?

I will send a photo tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the springs from cheap ball point pens would work, but they are probably out of dimension.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,415 Posts
Pretty sure the OP has a different kind of spring, as in not a coil spring.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I would have thought an old Ambrosio hub might have the old 3 pawl springs like old 8 speed Campy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay.

Those are some quick measurements, made with a ruler. Will measure again on sunday with calipers.

Note that those are not the original springs. They improvised a bit last time I was there. But its clearly not appropriate, and when I checked the pawls they have a crack in the middle. So I need to replace those also.

I went on a hunt yesterday, and Miche appears to have made some similar hubs in the past. But they did not have a hidden spoke design like this one does.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I guess I still don't know what kind of hub/freehub that is although I think the spline pattern is Campy 9-speed. However, I don't recall their 9-speed freehub having individual pawls/springs. Maybe some of their earlier 9-speed freehubs did.

As for the individual pawls/springs, my lbs always had a stack of parts drawers that would have things like this. They never really had the time to clear it out, so older parts still accumulated there. You might try a couple of different shops, especially one that sells Campagnolo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess I still don't know what kind of hub/freehub that is although I think the spline pattern is Campy 9-speed. However, I don't recall their 9-speed freehub having individual pawls/springs. Maybe some of their earlier 9-speed freehubs did.

As for the individual pawls/springs, my lbs always had a stack of parts drawers that would have things like this. They never really had the time to clear it out, so older parts still accumulated there. You might try a couple of different shops, especially one that sells Campagnolo.
Will try that, thank you!

It is indeed a 9 speed camapagnolo cassette, forgot to mention that.

Its a weird combination. I bought the bike in Italy late 2019, and as they told me, it belonged to a local team, but it had no use for them anymore so they sold it. It came with a campagnolo 10s groupset, so the lbs had to play around a bit to fit the cassette on. The shifting actually worked quite nicely. Kudos to them for making it fit.

I was actually thinking of finding a 10s cassette that has the pawls of the same diameter, 12mm bearing bore diameter, and then mill it so that it fits on the axle. I guess the biggest problem with a 10s cassette would be, that I run out of real estate on the shaft.

Will make some cad drawings to see what is possible to do.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Couple of things. I've never seen a freehub like that with only 2 pawls/springs. Not much redundancy for a failure there. Also does look like your hub uses an oversize axle, but I am not sure if it is similar to Campagnolo's OS axle. Finally, and I am not positive, but I thought the spline pattern you showed would be the same to install cogs from 9-speed to 12-speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couple of things. I've never seen a freehub like that with only 2 pawls/springs. Not much redundancy for a failure there. Also does look like your hub uses an oversize axle, but I am not sure if it is similar to Campagnolo's OS axle. Finally, and I am not positive, but I thought the spline pattern you showed would be the same to install cogs from 9-speed to 12-speed.
Well I contacted the seller, he told me it was made by Miche, but after contacting them, they told me that they did not manufacture it.

Even the lock ring is not standard. It says Campagnolo 9 speed, but its narrower than the standard 9 speed lockring.

I guess I will just get a list of Italian hub manufacturers and start sending emails.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
Well I contacted the seller, he told me it was made by Miche, but after contacting them, they told me that they did not manufacture it.

Even the lock ring is not standard. It says Campagnolo 9 speed, but its narrower than the standard 9 speed lockring.

I guess I will just get a list of Italian hub manufacturers and start sending emails.
Unless your time is worth very little, it probably makes more sense to look for a new hub.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Mr Sol, you're a damn persistent person! You're the type I'd like to have on my team! Too many times my team members are too eager to "replace" instead of trying to fix what we have. You're one persistent problem solver!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

As I recall, Campagnolo had more than 1 lockring depending on the small cog. Could it be you have the wrong lockring?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most shops have drawers/bins/shelves of junk parts. See if you can find some old freehubs or even freewheels. It's likely that you'll find springs that will work, but finding pawls may be more difficult.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
Mr Sol, you're a damn persistent person! You're the type I'd like to have on my team! Too many times my team members are too eager to "replace" instead of trying to fix what we have. You're one persistent problem solver!
Are you the cheap boss who'd rather have his folks waste hours trying to fix something that could have been replaced for hundreds less? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts