Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday morning a few us rode out from Ashburn, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV. My friend had noticed some creaking when he was out of the saddle. It sounded like the bottom bracket to me, but he thought it was the bars. Sure enough, at the bottom of the descent to the Potomac before crossing into Maryland at Brunswick, his right bar snapped. Not completely detached, but hanging at a 45 degree angle. Luckily, he had just pulled to a stop at the red light at the one lane bridge over the river, so he didn't go down. But what a close call. So check those bars, early and often.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
I just assumed that most of the noised when i rode emanated from my body....I guess i best check it out....be a drag if my right arm broke off....

·
Done
4,509 Posts
macalu said:
Sunday morning a few us rode out from Ashburn, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV. My friend had noticed some creaking when he was out of the saddle. It sounded like the bottom bracket to me, but he thought it was the bars. Sure enough, at the bottom of the descent to the Potomac before crossing into Maryland at Brunswick, his right bar snapped. Not completely detached, but hanging at a 45 degree angle. Luckily, he had just pulled to a stop at the red light at the one lane bridge over the river, so he didn't go down. But what a close call. So check those bars, early and often.
See? Those things DO have a finite fatigue life. Especially the lightweight bars. Just the other day JT was giving me crap for trashing an aluminum handlebar that I took off of my Bianchi. It was well over 10 years old, lots of miles, and corroded as hell.

Was it Vic's bike?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Fixed

Touch0Gray said:
I just assumed that most of the noised when i rode emanated from my body....I guess i best check it out....be a drag if my POST broke off....
Yeah, that would be bad if your post broke off from overuse and abuse. Always use proper torque and lubrication and check frequently.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I do appreciate the attention.

/ took my bike in b/c I thought the BB was creaking... turns out the Cannondale si cranksets have a known tendency to crack. Yep. Musta been my massive guads.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gregory Taylor said:
See? Those things DO have a finite fatigue life. Especially the lightweight bars. Just the other day JT was giving me crap for trashing an aluminum handlebar that I took off of my Bianchi. It was well over 10 years old, lots of miles, and corroded as hell.

Was it Vic's bike?
Nope. Steve's.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
macalu said:
Sunday morning a few us rode out from Ashburn, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV.
How do you go to Harpers Ferry? Is that W&OD to King Street and then 15?

Oh I guess I should be compassionate about the bars :cryin:

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
A few years ago my bike developed a "creaking sound" that seemed to be coming from the BB. I tried all sorts of adjustments but nothing seemed to work. Then one day during a ride, I felt the frame "give" as I started the downstroke with my left leg. I immediately stopped, pulled over and inspected the frame. The downtube had cracked about halfway through a couple inches behind the head tube....the "creaking sound" was the sound of my frame flexing in ways it was never intended to flex, finally developing a major crack that could easily have made me crash if it had gone any farther. I had to get a ride home and that frame was toast.

It was one of those paper-thin steel frames that Bianchi made in the late 90's. I later learned that a lot of Bianchi frames made then were pretty notorious for catastrophic failures.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I do appreciate the attention.

/ took my bike in b/c I thought the BB was creaking... turns out the Cannondale si cranksets have a known tendency to crack. Yep. Musta been my massive guads.

BB30? almost every single one we build now comes back in a few weeks with the bottom bracket creaking doe to a lack of lube from the factory.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
2cflyr said:
we've built up 5 pinnarellos recently- every single one of them has had a crack in the topcoat of the paint. yikes.
Yikes indeed.

A buddy of mine had a Mandaric - really neat aluminum/scandium bike from a small builder out in California - that he brought to me with what appeared to be cracks in the paint around the headset. I pulled the cups and...yes...the headtube had a series of small cracks around the lip. The frame was about ten years old, and it was originally sold to a racer as part of a team deal. The frame had a season of racing under its tires when my buddy bought it. Ex race bikes can be sketchy, so I don't know if it was fatigue, an impact, or poor installation of the headset that caused the cracks. My buddy wanted to ride it, but I convinced him that a catastropic failure at speed was likely to put him in the hospital.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
2cflyr said:
BB30? almost every single one we build now comes back in a few weeks with the bottom bracket creaking doe to a lack of lube from the factory.
Is there a fix? Would you re-lube and the problem is solved or is this a chronic issue with BB30?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts