Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

How safe is it to pay for something over the internet using paypal between 2 people and not with a store or ebay? You could use a credit card to pay, and that there seem to be protections with that because you can dispute charges, but is it still possible for me to get scammed? I'm not able to physically take a look at the stuff i'm buying, so what else should i watch out for or do before i buy?

Thanks

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bikersteve said:
Hey guys,

How safe is it to pay for something over the internet using paypal between 2 people and not with a store or ebay? You could use a credit card to pay, and that there seem to be protections with that because you can dispute charges, but is it still possible for me to get scammed? I'm not able to physically take a look at the stuff i'm buying, so what else should i watch out for or do before i buy?

Thanks
The only time I do that is when I either know the person I'm sending the money to or for very specific situations like ordering the Lounge kit. I have my Paypal attached to my CC so I'm guessing if there was outright fraud I'd have some recourse with my CC company.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
PAYPAL offers no protection on purchases outside of eBay. so if it's between 2 people your on your own. If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't. get to know the people your dealing with. Try to not make big ticket purchases through chatrooms aqaintences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used it to buy a Felt CA1 from the classified section on this site. I was very skeptical at first so I asked for his name, home number and place of employment (dont ask for the work number, cause they could give any number they want and pretend its a company). I then called his work and inquired about the person, making sure he was employed there. I then called him and had a conversation for a little while. I was still slightly skeptical but eventually I sent the money over paypal and was finally convinced when the bike arrived. I understand that scammers have ways of making themselves seem legitimate, but you have to find your own way to make yourself comfortable. Good luck!

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
cmg said:
PAYPAL offers no protection on purchases outside of eBay. so if it's between 2 people your on your own. If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't. get to know the people your dealing with. Try to not make big ticket purchases through chatrooms aqaintences.
I'm not so sure that's correct.
I sold an item to a buyer who paid via Paypal.
The item was lost and the buyer files a dispute with PayPay.
Paypal took the money out of my account until the issue was resolved...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.