Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I (my lawyer) file for a decent size lawsuit against paypal for illegal actions they have performed. I would advise against any paypal users out there to close your accounts since you are subject to the same abuse I have been. I am sueing for money that paypal has had of mine for 8 months plus 5% and my lawyer fees. They absolutely refuse to give me my money back despite all the hoops I have jumped through without any cause. I have the money to persue this and because they have treated me as such and still have my PP acount mooney I intend on taking this as far as I can to hold them to the many many illegal actions they have performed as well as reporting them to the better buisiness b. To those who continue to use PP I wish you luck and caution. carbon110 <---- Just a cyclists who used paypal a few times in good faith over ebay

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
There must more to the story...

What reason has Paypal given for not "giving your money back". I assume the dollars are in your Paypal account, but they are refusing to send a check or send via electronic transfer to your bank account?? I'm not trying to defend Paypal and quite frankly don't particularly care for them either... just curious about what the whole story is.

Bryan

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Why would anyone give PayPal money at all?

Now, I'm a newbie and only used it twice now, but both times, I just linked through to my Visa card. Neither seller took Visa directly, so I linked it in through PP.

Personally, I wouldn't send a check to PP and open a cash account; seems like a credit card and paying that with your cash provides security and flexibility.

What did I miss?

Dave

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
Don't forget: eBay owns PayPal

And PayPal is how eBay makes a lot of their profits. Fair warning - they're not likely to be in a compromise mood. If they give an inch, people will want to take a mile. Be watching for the technicality.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Either you have a damn cheap lawyer, or you have money to burn. Ebay and paypal are one in the same. They have more lawyers than you have in your phone book. I highly doubt you will win, and when you lose, you could be liable not only for your legal fee's, but also responsible for their cost too. Judges are getting tired of frivolous lawsuits and punishing plantiff's lately with this. So I would say think this through very carefully. Is the money they owe you really that much that you could end up losing thousands in legal fee's and still get nothing.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not quite or even close

PayPal or as I like to call them "Im not your Pal" or "your no Pal of Mine!" have not left me alot of choice in the matter. By in large I don't exactly have to take on the whole company here and despite what you may think these matters get resolved fairly fast. If you think taking some corporation like PP to court is like the Enron or OJ trial or something your very wrong. To make a statement like "judges are tired of these Frivolous lawsuits" is just stupid and untrue. Here is some more info on the mere unbelievable buisiness "no Pal of Mine" engages its customers in. After giving PP my; checking account number, telephone number, full name, address and shoe size this is what happens on the phone with these people. "yes I'd like to withdraw my money and close my account please" PP- I'm sorry sir your account has been limited- "well why has my account been limited?" PP- due to suspecious activity sir- "what kind of activity? I have not used my account in 8 months" PP-Im sorry sir Im not allowed to disclose that information-"But it is my account, it is information concerning my money in my account"PP-yes sir but Im not permitted to share that info. in order for you to receive your money back you will have to wait 180 days for a full review-"it has been 180 days"PP-yes sir I see that but now your review will have to go before the department for a final review before you are able to access the funds- "ok how long will that take?" PP-I can't tell you sir, there isn't any estimated time on how long these things can take- "Who else can I speak to, a supervisor or someone to resolve this"PP- no one sir, this is the only department that handles situations like this-"I intend on holding PP accountable for retaining my money without cause and I am seeking legal action"PP-what do you mean "accountable" sir? That is where I just hung up the tele. I have waited 8 months so now I'm just going to do what anyone I think would do. File a claim for the money plus 5% for every month which is what my Bank savings account gets. There is no other recorse, I have had about a dozen conversations like this with PP and I never did anything but transfer money in and out maybe 8 times to pay for Ebay purchases. I like to believe I have pretty good Karma too =)

·
Registered
414 Posts
ebay and paypal

quick note: my wife's uncle is a power seller on ebay and had some things happen that were not his fault and he went through the same ordeal with ebay. he did the smart thing and let his attorney handle the problem when it was apparent that he would get nowhere. to make a long story short he got what he was due without going to court -- he did not get what he wanted, but he got what he was due.

But remember that ebay and paypal are sued all the time and have so many stipulations that you agree to when you open your account (by clicking the "i agree" button)
it all depends on whey their reason is and whether it is valid, but act sooner than later as they will be acting to protect their butts!

·
Registered
314 Posts
CARBON110 said:
. File a claim for the money plus 5% for every month which is what my Bank savings account gets.
I want to use your bank. If I can get those kinds of returns I can go ahead and retire now. Even .5% per month is about twice what most savings accounts are giving these days.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
how about some background here?

Instead of ranting and raving like some rabid lunatic, could you explain just what your specific beef with PayPal is? Please try using prper grammar, spelling, and some sort of logical structure, or people will just ignore like any other hot-head's post.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
checking account link

When PayPal wanted to start pretending to be a Bank and wanted a checking account number is when I stopped using them. That is also when a large number of people reportedly started having more problems with them. That was before E-Bay merged with them.

Are the funds available for further purchases? If so then that may be your best option, buy stuff until the funds are depleted, change banks before doing so and keep only a minimal amount in the previous checking account, and then purge it out until they send you a bill. Then tell them they have to wait for 14days to 6 months to ensure that the funds have been properly processed until you can pay their final billing. Just another avenue to consider, nothing illegal or fraudulant, just getting your monies via a different approach.

I haven't used PayPal in several years, and haven't updated them with a new card number or expiration date. If someone on E-Bay wants PayPal I just offer to pay with a USPS Postal Money Order sent in a Priority window envelope.

In any case please keep us posted on how things progress.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Gotta agree with Dave S

Without real facts (or at least an understanding of each side's respective version of the facts) there is no way to know what to make of your fight with PayPal. So, they froze your account for suspicious activity... what basis did they cite? Play Devil's Advocate in your own mind... what MIGHT have caused the dispute? Do you have a pending dispute with another party where the transaction was via Pay Pal?

PayPal and eBay are between a rock and a hard place in some ways. Everyone is looking to them for more and more aggressive dispute resolution and fraud protection, but no one wants to be inconvenienced.

You may have a legitimate beef but I just can't tell based on this information. I've only bought via Pay Pal, so they've never held actual $$ in my name. But as a buyer, I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
jtolleson said:
Without real facts (or at least an understanding of each side's respective version of the facts) there is no way to know what to make of your fight with PayPal. So, they froze your account for suspicious activity... what basis did they cite? Play Devil's Advocate in your own mind... what MIGHT have caused the dispute? Do you have a pending dispute with another party where the transaction was via Pay Pal?

PayPal and eBay are between a rock and a hard place in some ways. Everyone is looking to them for more and more aggressive dispute resolution and fraud protection, but no one wants to be inconvenienced.

You may have a legitimate beef but I just can't tell based on this information. I've only bought via Pay Pal, so they've never held actual $$ in my name. But as a buyer, I've never had a problem.
I've sold a lot of Ebay items and the buyers 95% of the time use PayPal. I've never had a problem but I never keep the money in my account for more than a week. I wait until the transaction is complete and the buyer leaves positive feedback. Then I transfer the funds to my checking account. Even though I use Paypal almost every week, my running balance is $0.00...........................

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've sold a lot of Ebay items and the buyers 95% of the time use PayPal. I've never had a problem but I never keep the money in my account for more than a week. I wait until the transaction is complete and the buyer leaves positive feedback. Then I transfer the funds to my checking account. Even though I use Paypal almost every week, my running balance is $0.00...........................
I agree, I wonder if there is one or more disputed transactions on the account.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here

Dave Hickey said:

I never keep money in my Paypal account, I just link to a Credit Card and pay with that. I know if I have the money to pay, I will just use the card and then pay that off. If I'm selling and someone pays me, I have Direct Deposit linked and the money is simply forwarded to my account.

I did have one problem with Paypal, that is when I had lost my password and login info and the email account I had linked was closed. So they had to actually mail me a new password and login info which took like 3 weeks. But that was really my fault. Honestly, I think that Paypal is much more secure than personal checks or wire transfers. That's just me.

KavuBiker
(crossing my fingers that I don't have any problems with Paypal)

·
Registered
282 Posts
good luck on the lawyer's fees. i filed a lawsuit against a painter and the only reason that i got lawyer's fees was because the guys advert in the yellow pages was fraudulent. unless you can prove that the other party is fraudulent, it is very hard to get lawyers fees out of the deal.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow!

Raving lunatic? Out standing or pending transactions? Sorry no. I do not have any motive to slander Pay Pal other then they are horrible buisiness and when they illegally hold my money. If there was ""more"" to the story do you not think I would include it maybe?? Helllooooo. Perhaps some of you are use to projecting parts of the truth when sharing life experiences so others will share your point of view or agree with you but I am not partial to altering stories or facts in search of consolation. Some of you amaze me; the post is to share information since we as cyclists buy on ebay alot and use paypal. I will no longer use paypal of course. Why don't some of you put some choice words into google and find out what kind of fraud and cheating paypal has already been involved with. By all means use PayPal, thought I would share my actual, accurate, honest truth concerning my experience with them. I will take the risk on losing money for/on lawyer fees since I am confident in my chance for success and holding these people responsible for how they do buisiness.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
what's the money moving pattern in your account?

Not sure how their suspicious acitivity review thing works, but I do know their fraud protection is a joke.

CARBON110 said:
Raving lunatic? Out standing or pending transactions? Sorry no. I do not have any motive to slander Pay Pal other then they are horrible buisiness and when they illegally hold my money. If there was ""more"" to the story do you not think I would include it maybe?? Helllooooo. Perhaps some of you are use to projecting parts of the truth when sharing life experiences so others will share your point of view or agree with you but I am not partial to altering stories or facts in search of consolation. Some of you amaze me; the post is to share information since we as cyclists buy on ebay alot and use paypal. I will no longer use paypal of course. Why don't some of you put some choice words into google and find out what kind of fraud and cheating paypal has already been involved with. By all means use PayPal, thought I would share my actual, accurate, honest truth concerning my experience with them. I will take the risk on losing money for/on lawyer fees since I am confident in my chance for success and holding these people responsible for how they do buisiness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts