Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought and sold through RBR for quite about 7 years now. My most recent posting for my bike for sale is the first post I have made in over 2 years. I have always insisted on using PayPal for any of the transactions I have made, and have never had any payment problems. For now on I am putting PAY PAL ONLY!!! in any future posts. I would recomend this to everyone else selling or buying. If you know of any other secure payment processes, I would love to hear about them. Eades Hogue

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use PayPal eChecks. The maximum charge is $5 instead of the usual 3%, which saves a considerable amount on something as expensive as a bike.

eadeshogue said:
I have bought and sold through RBR for quite about 7 years now. My most recent posting for my bike for sale is the first post I have made in over 2 years. I have always insisted on using PayPal for any of the transactions I have made, and have never had any payment problems. For now on I am putting PAY PAL ONLY!!! in any future posts. I would recomend this to everyone else selling or buying. If you know of any other secure payment processes, I would love to hear about them. Eades Hogue

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Econoline said:
I use PayPal eChecks. The maximum charge is $5 instead of the usual 3%, which saves a considerable amount on something as expensive as a bike.
Does the buyer get charged a fee for using Paypal eChecks? so the seller pays paypal $5 to process the check? cool, to bad i didn't read this first before i sold my frame on RBR. i paid the %3 on a $900 sale..

·
Registered
14 Posts
cmg said:
Does the buyer get charged a fee for using Paypal eChecks? so the seller pays paypal $5 to process the check? cool, to bad i didn't read this first before i sold my frame on RBR. i paid the %3 on a $900 sale..
There is no charge to the buyer for using an eCheck. The seller is charged a maximum of $5 to accept the check, based on amount of check. I bought a $1200 bike and the total cost for the eCheck was $5 that I reimbursed the seller for. The only disadvantage is that it takes 4 business days for the eCheck to get posted to the seller's PayPal account. For a big purchase this is a cheap and secure way to go.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
paypal's not "secure".

it might be working out for you, and that's good, but they're not exactly a secure method of payment any more than using a postal MO or better yet, using a CC to purchase from someone with a merchant acct. they offer little to no recourse to the buyer if you get sent something other than what you thought you paid for, and they've been pretty liberal in the past about freezing accts, for which they were sued and lost I believe. they're convenient, but not much more.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
the paypal buyer protection plan only covers transactions done through eBay. if the transaction is done outside of eBay the buyer is NOT covered and has very little if any recourse if the deal goes bad. my only concern was for reducing the cost of using paypal. 3% 0f $900 is $30 compared to $5 for using an e-Check. since i was a seller and honest the buyer got what he paid for and i paid the $30 paypal fee. Buyer beware as always. read the scams forum before transacting outside of eBay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts