Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a good price on a KMC 10sp chain. PBK has by far the best price $19 vs $30 at Wiggle and $40 here in the US. Of course PBK doesn't have them in stock. Does anybody know if PBK raises the price once they get stock and how long will I be waiting for them to notify me that they have chains available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had good luck with the email notification, but you have to order right away after the notification. They do not raise prices when they have stock, but they become out of stock quickly when prices are good.

I bought Continental 4000 chili tires and Dura Ace 10 speed chain, for about $25 each, a few months ago and those are now up to close to $40. I do not follow the dollar vs. pound, so I do not know what caused the price increase.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Patience pays with PBK. Just keep checking the site. They will show eventually and the price will change - sometimes up, sometimes down. I was watching and waiting for an $80 SLK saddle to arrive. When it arrived there were only 2 available and the price was $71 delivered. Threw in a couple of $14 Descente full zip SS jerseys and a few other cheap goodies just because. Watched a pair of pedals a while back. When they came in the price dropped $7.

While you are waiting, check Jenson. I ordered a couple of Ultegra chains for $14 in October. Two summers ago I stocked up on Ultegra 9 chains at $5 a piece with $25 105 cassettes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the small price swings are more a function of the prevailing fx rate. Just sign up for the email alerts for out-of-stock items.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Prices change. I ordered some tires one night and came back the next day debating buying more...it went up $2 and at current prices is $6 more per tire than I paid. I'll wait, it's not like I'll wear through 6 tires that fast...just greed. ;)

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
a while back I jumped on $125 Dura Ace pedals with the stock notification. Price stayed the same for me but a day or two later the price went up quite a bit. It is likely that they raise prices with items flying our the door. Also, I was watching 7900 shifters before I decided to go RED but the price did go up a lot once they came back into inventory. YMMV.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
I have been looking for a good price on a KMC 10sp chain. PBK has by far the best price $19 vs $30 at Wiggle and $40 here in the US. .
You don't mention which KMC chain you're looking for, but keep an eye on Performance and Nashbar and their sales (also their coupons). The Performance and Nashbar brand 10 speed chains are just reboxed KMC DX10SC chains. Those are the chains I've been using for the last year or so on my bikes. You can get them for about $20 on sale sometimes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Slip Stream said:
Patience pays with PBK. Just keep checking the site. They will show eventually and the price will change - sometimes up, sometimes down. I was watching and waiting for an $80 SLK saddle to arrive. When it arrived there were only 2 available and the price was $71 delivered. Threw in a couple of $14 Descente full zip SS jerseys and a few other cheap goodies just because. Watched a pair of pedals a while back. When they came in the price dropped $7.

While you are waiting, check Jenson. I ordered a couple of Ultegra chains for $14 in October. Two summers ago I stocked up on Ultegra 9 chains at $5 a piece with $25 105 cassettes.
I'm not sure I would be willing to get into the waiting game, I'd get my stuff as I would needed either from a lbs or from jenson, pricepoint etc.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
I have been looking for a good price on a KMC 10sp chain. PBK has by far the best price $19 vs $30 at Wiggle and $40 here in the US. Of course PBK doesn't have them in stock. Does anybody know if PBK raises the price once they get stock and how long will I be waiting for them to notify me that they have chains available.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.probikekit.com/affiliates/affredir.php?affid=AF236" vspale=0></iframe>
Try giving them a call. sometime they have them in stock but the website hasn't been updated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts