Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
rkoch said:
And I've heard something about gray market; what's that about?
Typically that the parts come from outside traditional distribution channels. For example bike shops in the states can get /partskits from approved distributors, but sometimes they are also able to get their hands on OEM kits for better prices. OEM kits aren't packed the same as they are meant for companies to put on their bikes. No fancy boxes, just bulk parts in plastic bags etc.

In theory companies that offer OEM pricing aren't supposed to sell to to shop level but it happens. PBK isn't US based so Shimano USA can't do much to stop them. A few years ago I pointed out PBK to Shimano sales exec, mentioning that consumers could nearly pay the same price I could as a shop for some kits.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
rkoch said:
PBK: How are they so cheap?
By not having any product to sell.

It's easy to quote great prices on stuff that is never in stock. I've been waiting over 6 months for Michelin Krylion 25 tires - nothing (about $26).

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
sometimerider said:
By not having any product to sell.

It's easy to quote great prices on stuff that is never in stock. I've been waiting over 6 months for Michelin Krylion 25 tires - nothing (about $26).
That's why you buy the stuff that's in stock, like those Keo's!

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
They don't spend their profit on blow and hookers?

I've ordered from them plenty, always stuff that's in stock. It gets here across the pond rediculously fast. I can't recommend them enough!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
ProBikeKit = Hookers and Blow for your Bike

ProBikeKit = Money Pit for You

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Wait until they have a 15% off sale and then they are really cheap. I usually spend $1,000+ every time they have a 15% sale and I check their website every day to see if it is Christmas (i.e., they are having a 15% off sale).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are they really that much cheaper? Compare them to the other good UK based shops - especially Ribble Cycles, and their prices are very similar. The main difference is that PBK have the option of showing the prices in $, with the UK tax removed, which makes them look cheaper, and have cheap/free shipping (which really is better :D ). A lot of the other UK shops, including Ribble will take off the tax when they ship overseas, but won't show this until you get to the checkout stage. FWIW, when I lived in the UK, and shipping costs were more or less equal, I almost always used Ribble, sometimes Parker International, occasionally Wiggle, but never PBK.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Jokull said:
Are they really that much cheaper? Compare them to the other good UK based shops - especially Ribble Cycles, and their prices are very similar. The main difference is that PBK have the option of showing the prices in $, with the UK tax removed, which makes them look cheaper, and have cheap/free shipping (which really is better :D ). A lot of the other UK shops, including Ribble will take off the tax when they ship overseas, but won't show this until you get to the checkout stage. FWIW, when I lived in the UK, and shipping costs were more or less equal, I almost always used Ribble, sometimes Parker International, occasionally Wiggle, but never PBK.

do you know if those online co. you mentioned offer free shipping to the US ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
nismosr said:
do you know if those online co. you mentioned offer free shipping to the US ?
I don't think so - that is the main reason PBK is so popular, not the prices (like I said, they're only average). Parker is free in the UK, but GBP 15 beyond Europe, Wiggle is free in the UK and Europe, but doesn't deliver beyond the EU. I don't know what Ribble charges to the US, but I suspect its based on weight, and definately not free!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It's not ProBikeKit's fault they don't have any Krylions in stock--Michelin botched the move to China and doesn't expect to actually ship any more until August or later!?! If you're finding them in stock other places its because they were selling them for too much $$ and never sold out.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Actually, PBK is cheap on certain items but not all. Tires, cassettes, pedals, & cleats are generally great deals, and they have some useful odds & ends that I've not seen in US (like nylon drivetrain cover to keep inside of my van clean). Groupo's are cheap, but some have reported being charged significant import duties. Wheels prices (when extra shipping inc.) are just OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.