Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a pair of Sidi Genius 5.5 CC's and a set of look classic pedals on Tuesday night. Total came out to somewhere around $247 for the shoes and pedals shipped via their standard air service. Items arrived here in the San Francisco Bay area around 11:00 AM today with no customs duties whatsoever. Customs label said 174 pounds declared value labeled as bicycle accessories. All in all it came out to around $190 for the shoes and $50 something for the Look classic pedals. PBK seems to be faster and cheaper than U.S. retailers shipping via ground. Definately will shop there again! :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Same for me

Same good news for my order. I ordered Shimano tubeless wheels on a Thursday and they were waiting for me when I got home from work Monday. They do do charge a bit for wheels but it was still a lot cheaper than any US bike dealer.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
You folks have any trouble with your credit card info? Lots of reports of cards stolen after ordering from the UK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zmudshark said:
You folks have any trouble with your credit card info? Lots of reports of cards stolen after ordering from the UK.
Not as of yet. I used my paypal debit card, I only refill it when I need to make purchases overseas.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have ordered dozens of times from PBK and always happy with my purchase and delighted with Price and Speedy Shipping.
NEVER had a problem with Credit Card with PBK.
They are my FAVORITE online bike shop.
I always check for an item first on PBK before trying elsewhere.
If it's in-stock, you can't beat their Prices or their Service.
John

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I've ordered dozens of times from them as well without issue. A good freind ordered about two weeks ago, and his CC info was stolen. I ordered from Ribble about a month ago, same thing, CC stolen.

In both cases, they tried a couple iTunes purchases, and the CC Co. caught them and called us. PITA, but no lasting harm done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
zmudshark said:
I wouldn't point to the millions of stolen card numbers recently as a source, no?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
thesmokingman said:
I wouldn't point to the millions of stolen card numbers recently as a source, no?
There have been a number of threads on RBR, and other cycling forums, discussing this.

Most of the thefts occurred moments after purchasing from any number of UK sites. The problem seems to lie with the company that the UK merchants are using for CC processing, not directly with the merchants themselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered again from PBK. Not as fast as last time unfortunately. Placed an order on Tuesday night for a pair of Michelin Pro Race 3's for $60 + $7 for the expedited shipping, apparently it was shipped Wednesday. Well it's Saturday now, and the postman hasn't delivered my tires yet. Is shipping slower for certain items? I was expecting these tires yesterday. :(

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
JPJR said:
Ordered again from PBK. Not as fast as last time unfortunately. Placed an order on Tuesday night for a pair of Michelin Pro Race 3's for $60 + $7 for the expedited shipping, apparently it was shipped Wednesday. Well it's Saturday now, and the postman hasn't delivered my tires yet. Is shipping slower for certain items? I was expecting these tires yesterday. :(
It may have gotten caught in customs. I have had items stuck there for more than a week. I am not sure if expedited shipping would cause that or not. You might have expedited it right in to customs. Let us know if you get hit with duties.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not always fast

I've ordered 4 times from them and three were really fast. The fourth took about a week and a half. Plus they sent the wrong color pedals once. The price is so good but there are glitches sometimes.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
zmudshark said:
You folks have any trouble with your credit card info? Lots of reports of cards stolen after ordering from the UK.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>
I have never had any problems with CC or shipment

·
Registered
930 Posts
I experienced fraud with a citibank card that I once used on PBK a few months ago. No proof it's related but I mention this for what it's worth. I now stick with paypal one-time use credit card numbers so no worry of theft since any use beyond one charge will be automatically denied. Also, no international currency fees which citibank struck me with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
moabbiker said:
I experienced fraud with a citibank card that I once used on PBK a few months ago. No proof it's related but I mention this for what it's worth. I now stick with paypal one-time use credit card numbers so no worry of theft since any use beyond one charge will be automatically denied. Also, no international currency fees which citibank struck me with.
I have a citicard card as well and got a strange charge too. After speaking with there fraud team... mind you citicard just got haxed and lost a few million numbers, the charges came from all over. All were declined except one and I filed to deny it. There were charges for US based airline tickets to skype credits (skype has no standards and will let you charge anything). Skype UK is used as a card verifier, to see if the number is live or not.

Needless to say, citibank changed my cards out and I haven't had any fraud since... well till they get hacked next time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blue CheeseHead said:
It may have gotten caught in customs. I have had items stuck there for more than a week. I am not sure if expedited shipping would cause that or not. You might have expedited it right in to customs. Let us know if you get hit with duties.
Tires finally arrived yesterday. Total time took about 8 days, no duties. Tires are on my Specialized now :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just ordered from them for the first time less than two hours ago. Then I read this.... Now I am nervous.

·
Registered
930 Posts
jtab1 said:
I just ordered from them for the first time less than two hours ago. Then I read this.... Now I am nervous.
Just keep an eye on your statements, as you always should do. By law, you are protected from this type of fraud but you must do your part by reporting it in a timely manner.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I made an order around 7:30AM this morning, around 11:30AM I got a shipment notification. Not bad at all I would say! Maybe because it was only one item (Look Keo Sprints). I didn't pay extra for faster processing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
moabbiker said:
Just keep an eye on your statements, as you always should do. By law, you are protected from this type of fraud but you must do your part by reporting it in a timely manner.
You know with this whole credit card thing and people blaming third parties involved... like in those other threads. It got me thinking. Later, as I was window shopping I noticed something at Ribble. There is this disclaimer on the cart. Then I checked PBK.

"Your shopping basket prices are based on an estimated exchanged rate. We will charge your card provider in pounds sterling and they will convert this to your local currency. The exchange rate they use may vary slightly from our estimate."

-Ribble

"All purchases are charged in GBP (Great Britain Pound Sterling) however, so your order will be converted upon check out. Your credit-card will be charged in GBP as well.

Due to the fluctuating nature of financial exchange rates, our calculated total in your local currency may be slightly different from the actual total charged by your credit-card company. In addition to this, your credit-card company may charge an extra fee for paying in GBP. The amount is usually very small but you should check with your card issuer for current rates if you are concerned."

-Probikekit

Kinda makes me question the idea of a 3rd party CC processing hackers. I don't see a middle man in this fine print.

·
Registered
20 Posts
zmudshark said:
Yes, I had my Visa card info stolen and used within a week of my last order with PBK, which btw was maybe 6 weeks ago. Started with a bunch of little charges for online games, then started escalating before I saw it while I was signed into my bank card account. It started the usual mess canceling that card and reissuing a replacement one.
I am reluctant to order from PBK again, despite all the "good deals."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts