Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to admit, I am a component junkie, I'll stock up on chains or cassettes from PBK just to have a few around. Had a restock notification from PBK, the cassettes upped by about $15. Not quite the deal they were....

Just my imagination or all the 7800 shimano stuff jumped up in price....

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
okay... and this is new?

Remember, exchange rates, supply and demand etc etc... all at work always.

DA7801 chains were 22 bucks shipped 4 months ago. You just gotta jump when the time is right. And trust me, WE ALL KNOW when the time is RIGHT.

That's when everything you want is out of stock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A lot of their stuff has gone up mainly the 2009 restocks of the older models 7800 and the tires. I got a bunch of the Cont 4000s blacks for 29-31 and they are back around 40 again. Their shoes have jumped up while others are still rock bottom. I think their suppliers have raised prices so when they have to restock lately they have to compensate. I do expect it to level back out and go down again once we get closer to 2010 stocks. Be patient and save some cash for year end deal time and stock up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It seems in the dead winter months their prices drop but then when the season gears up they normalize to higher prices. I guess it is best to stock up in the winter.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
g-Bike said:
It seems in the dead winter months their prices drop but then when the season gears up they normalize to higher prices. I guess it is best to stock up in the winter.....
I've been a PBK shopper for perhaps 2 years now and I can say it's the first time I notice such a widespread & rather important increase in price at the beginning of the season. Around this time last year, the only tires that jumped in price were the Michelin Pro3 black/grey. They were bumped to the price point of the newly introduced coloured ones. Otherwise, tires, seatposts, cassettes and chains fluctuated mostly with the value of the pound sterling. So, as I recall, the prices have been rather steady on most stuff in 2008... until October or November.

That's when I noticed that everything that came back in stock, did so with a price increase - an increase that was way beyond the fluctuation of exchange rates.

Anyway, PBK isn't the only store with increasing prices. Check at your LBS or at other online stores... A lot of stuff is going up. In 2009, only cars seem to have gone down in price, and we all know why :S

·
Registered
570 Posts
PBK price increase

I have been a PBK shopper for prob 3-4-5 years, not sure, but a while, my staple training tyre the good o'l Rubino Pros have gone from $19 per tyre late last year, to $33-34 now, that's a 50% increase....roughly. At $19 per tyre they were bloody good value.

cheers

Ralph

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
ralph1 said:
I have been a PBK shopper for prob 3-4-5 years, not sure, but a while, my staple training tyre the good o'l Rubino Pros have gone from $19 per tyre late last year, to $33-34 now, that's a 50% increase....roughly. At $19 per tyre they were bloody good value.

cheers

Ralph
izzat us dollars? right now they show as $27.54, on sale for $24.79
http://www.probikekit.com/advsearch.php?AQUERY=rubino

·
Registered
24 Posts
In Flux

Prices are up and down on that site. They have key items that are killer deals like the DA 7900 group for $1700cdn. Thats cheap!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I think PBK does a lot of what grocery stores call "loss leaders" -- that is selling certain items for very low prices (even sometimes at a loss) to draw customers into their stores, where hopefully they will also buy some regularly priced items.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
kingpin said:
Prices are up and down on that site. They have key items that are killer deals like the DA 7900 group for $1700cdn. Thats cheap!
Except you can get a better deal here now:

http://www.eurobikeparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=SH-DA7900GRP8pc

AND you can choose compact cranks.

I accumulated 7900 parts over the winter as they became available and prices have certainly gone up from what I paid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
kingpin said:
I just looked at the price was @$2300 Cdn

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Just ordered a 6600 cassette to get rid of my OG1070 cassettte. It's higher than it was a few months ago, but still way cheaper than anywhere else, so I'm not complaining. My 6600 crank is more than double of what it was in December.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still there

lawr said:
I just looked at the price was @$2300 Cdn

Its still available, however, you will have to pay $50 shipping, but if you use code canrbr you get an additional 5% discount.

·
Registered
713 Posts
kingpin said:
I dunno, just because it is the latest thing, I don't consider 1700 cheap for a component set. I bet you will see deals closer to 1200 - 1300 over the next year.
I'm sticking with my 7800 group for this Summer, and will upgrade to 7900 when the prices drop. Hopefully the introduction of the electronic group will drive the price down a bit..

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
spepic said:
Have to admit, I am a component junkie, I'll stock up on chains or cassettes from PBK just to have a few around. Had a restock notification from PBK, the cassettes upped by about $15. Not quite the deal they were....<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>

Just my imagination or all the 7800 shimano stuff jumped up in price....
Prices always go up and down depending on the demand

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest seems to be some major brands not allowing PBK to ship to the US. So far I noticed Polar and Zipp products removed from the site for US customers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts