Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
They look like they're your typical cheap sunglasses (which are the sorts of shades I wear) that relies on it's multi-lens feature as it's sales-gimmick. But what turns me off is that they're not Polarized. Polarization allows you to see true-colors and details. The sky really is blue, instead of pink or brown, etc.

Last pair I got came from here:

http://www.anysunglasses.com/Polarized-Sunglasses.html

Happy Trails! (with color and detail)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the cycling sunglasses aren't polarized. I do really like the amber lenses, they reduce glare a lot too. Used amber for skiing and it really took the stress out.
I was looking at the PBK ones too, but my cheapies I got a Target are still running great.

·
soulfly
60 Posts
I got a model called motion about a year ago, came with 5 sets of lenses and a hard case.They fit me well and i have had no problems with them. :thumbsup:

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Actually polarized lenses reduce glare. Has little to do with color. Take for example a red lense. Do you really think that the sky will still be blue?

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased the IRON model.
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=G1009
They came with a sweet case that has little pockets for the lenses.

To those of you who have the PBK glasses, which lense color do you use?
I'm confused because of PBKs description of the colors is hard to understand. The actual lense doesn't look like the color description.???

·
Registered
429 Posts
For cycling I prefer non-polarized lenses. Polarized lenses can make it hard to "read" road surface conditions, i.e. something will look wet and slippery when it's not, or puddles will disappear. For boating they're great, but not for riding IMO.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The hype on "takes out 99% of harmful UV radiation!" and such is dependent on the audience to have a poor knowledge of UV in the first place. Short-wave UV is the damaging one. Long-wave UV doesn't harm you - it's the type you would use to make a black-light poster of Elvis glow over your bed. Eeeeeeeeeek! So that's what is typically referred to as 'black-Light.'

Short-wave UV is the one that can cause blindness, gives you sunburn, and induces cancers. However - it is effectively blocked by most anything - such as a single layer of plastic-wrap and your windows on your house.So unless a lens falls out of your sunglasses, they will all protect against the dangerous variety of ultraviolet-radiation.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too was thinking about getting the PBK sunglasses but having high cheekbones, wide face and little-to-no nose bridge (I'm Asian), I have a hard time finding sunglasses that fit me well. For those of you who have PBK glasses, any of you have similar facial features as me?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sunglasses that are specifically designed for cycling have - or should have - a narrow frame so the glasses grab your face. This should prevent them from sliding down your face. Your having a wide face would cause them to hold onto what you have without falling or sliding down all the better.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I got the PBK Irons last December. They were under $20USD when I got them and are a pretty good value. I prefer polarized but these were so cheap I figured what the heck. After using them I have to say I don't miss the polarization as much as I thought I would. In the car I absolutely want polarized but on the bike it's not as bad as I feared.

Pros -
Lots of lenses.
Lenses seem pretty clear optically. Not perfect but good for the price.
Lenses snap in easily yet are very secure since there is a lower frame.
Don't slip down my nose
Nice case (semi-rigid with zipper and extra pouch)

Cons
Not polarized, but find something that is with all those lenses at <$20.
Temples were hooked way to much (around the back of head) and extremely hard to bend with heat. Plumbers torch to do it, really. Boiling water wasn't even close.
Everyone knows they are cheap (if you care)

I'll probably look for some polarized single lens glasses for sunny day use and use the PBK ones for other times. Still glad I got them.

jlandry - I use the dark smoke (sort of mirrored) in sunlight and the yellow or orange in dark cloudy. If you go off road stick to the clear (light tan) since yellow / orange in the woods is not very good. Yellow blocks blue light and that's pretty much all that's ambient in the woods on a sunny day.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Puchnuts said:
Sunglasses that are specifically designed for cycling have - or should have - a narrow frame so the glasses grab your face. This should prevent them from sliding down your face. Your having a wide face would cause them to hold onto what you have without falling or sliding down all the better.
I agree, but many of the cycling sunglasses I've used have been too tight and over time, either put pressure on my temples or rub my cheek bones. I have a pair now that aren't too bad but the lens does leave an indelible impression on my cheeks after a ride.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Asian Fit

I'm Asian too. I have the "Asian Fit" Oakley Radars. They are the best fitting sunglasses I have ever had (lived in US most of my life). Some Oakley stores will have some on hand to try. I suggest you try the "Asian Fit" of the style you intend to buy. I tried the Asian Fit for some non-sport styles and they did not feel as comfortable. The Radars were spot on for me though. They were fairly expensive, but well worth the expense.

Good luck!

shinsplints said:
I too was thinking about getting the PBK sunglasses but having high cheekbones, wide face and little-to-no nose bridge (I'm Asian), I have a hard time finding sunglasses that fit me well. For those of you who have PBK glasses, any of you have similar facial features as me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.