Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make this as a main dish tonight, and I'm thinking about what kind of protein I could add to the dish. I'll have a side salad, and I could add bacon to that, but I'd like to put some meat in the rice.

Would you put shrimp into pea risotto? Grilled calamari?

Thanks homies.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Shrimp would work well. Personally, I like calamari so I'd add that as well but if you just wanna use one, I'd pick the shrimp.

But, both should work fine and add flavor to the dish for sure.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I want to make this as a main dish tonight, and I'm thinking about what kind of protein I could add to the dish. I'll have a side salad, and I could add bacon to that, but I'd like to put some meat in the rice.

Thanks homies.
crab?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wildebeest?

I don't think I've ever cooked crab at home. What does lump crabmeat go for these days?

Duck is always fantastic.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Cut some tempeh up into small cubes and steam it for 15 minutes. Mix it into your risotto w/ a little fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Good idea. That reminds me - I haven't had some tempeh for a looooong time.

I like it with a chili paste kinda method.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
pork, any cut will do

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I started steaming mine for a little while before putting it into anything. Takes away a bit of the "bite" that it's got.
That works too. I don't know what my mom does but I like the way she cooks it!

She usually adds tofu (the hard ones that can be fried a little) to the dish as well.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

Thanks homies.
Pea risotto is so good, if you have good fresh peas, that I'd be hesitant to mess with it. But if I were pressed to add meat, I'd make it pancetta or prosciutto di parma.

For seafood risotto, scallops and saffron (basically a risotto alla Milanese with some added scallops) is heaven. For broth use clam juice or scallop juices and cook up some shrimp shells in it to get a rich seafood stock.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
A small amount of pancetta, cubed and slightly rendered, is traditional. Do it first, remove from pan but leave drippings for the saute of the rice (you'll need some additional butter / EVOO, unless you went way overboard with the pancetta.)

In a pinch, use spam. :nonod:

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
+1 on the pancetta or prosciutto

(What, no one said BACON?)

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PDex said:

The lounge hath spoken. I don't have any pancetta at home, but I believe I have some of the good bacon from the butcher.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
The lounge hath spoken. I don't have any pancetta at home, but I believe I have some of the good bacon from the butcher.
I always use bacon instead of pancetta for my pasta carbonara (pancetta is too hard to find and too $$)--the danger is that the bacon is smoked while the pancetta isn't. Some think the bacon taste overwhelms some dishes. I've never had any complaints though.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
PDex said:

Prosciutto would likely be too salty and dry IMO--it's really not meant to be cooked. Either use bacon or pancetta.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts