Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here we go. First, though, there's not much to say about Lizard Woman, Zeytin. Sure she's green and curvaceous, but she's a mural. She doesn't really exist. At least thats' my story and I'm sticking with it.

On with the show: all my friends had big ride plans this weekend. The roadies were doing Tour de Cure or a fast century, and the fat tire folks were hitting trails in McCormick. Hell, I think this was even MB1s FG century weekend. But I was tied down here until 11 this AM , which kind of put a damper on things. Still, I awoke with a plan. I would ride to Peak. Specifically, I would ride to where the little red x is on the map linked here. Why? Because I wanted to go up that hill. The short, steep one. Just because it was there.

https://topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=3787547&e=469028&size=l&datum=nad83

So at 11:20 this morning (or so), I set out. Normally when I ride that area I drive to the local trailhead and hit the road from there. I didn't feel like that today though, I wanted something bigger. So I rode from the house. Now Peak is (I guessed) about 30 miles north of town, and I live on the south edge of town. So the first oder of business was to get across town. I took my usual commute, swinging by the ATM for portable supplies, then cut down to the riverwalk. Its a MUT so I took it easy, but it got me thorugh downtown with minimal fuss.

At the end I took the little flyway up to th only bridge across the Broad River

banged a right on the narrow, high sidewalk since there's absolutely no shoulder

and enjoyed the view. Didn't help that the sidewalk was covered in glass and the curb to my right was 1.5ft down to the road surface.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From there it was a question of piecing together forgotten strips of road like this concrete surfaced section that connects nothing to nothing

with frontage roads. I don't ride these during the week, but on Sundays they aren't bad (in an "ugh, look at all those cars" kind of way).

Of course, if you're riding frontage road sometimes you gotta cross the interstate. Hello cagers! I spit on you from a considerable height!!!

And, once you've connected a whole bunch of lines on the map together, you wind up at the local trails about 15 miles from my house. Its a nice little warmup on the roadie but there's no way in hell I'll ride it on the trail bike, especially not singlespeed. :)

Then, before you know it, you're in the country.

Pretty flowers, huh?

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, had to get a cup of coffee. I feel much better now. Where was I? Ah yes, approaching Peak. But what kind of ride report would it be without a cemetery I ask you?

Ok, so here I go, into Peak. Don't blink. Sprint sign. Last time I came through here one of our guys got forced up that little driveway to the right in full sprint. Good times!

As I approach the bustling downtown, first I have to stop for a banana break. At another cemetery of course...

Dig this marker.

Banana snarfed, I head onwards. Did I mention bustling yet?

Well, it used to bustle. At least that's what the sign says

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the great things about Peak is you come screaming into town down a nice long descent, bang a hard left and then another hard left, and you're on a terrace along the river (and back out of town). You can see the left and left in the upper right corner of the map back in the first post of this thread. That's downtown Peak. Its fun. Then you follow the terrace and, if you like, go under this nice old RR trestle.

Of course, they're "fixing" the section of road that goes under the trestle. Too crooked I guess. So they're straightening it. And widening it. And generally ****ing things up. Which would you rather ride? Or even drive for that matter?

But I digress, and digression is particularly unfortunate because I'm just about to that hill. Remember the hill? The short, steep one that was my goal all day? I was redlined going up it so I got no pics, but here's the lead up to it. My own little slice of chewed up, nasty, narrow, euro-style pavement. Eddy would be proud.

And Eddy was indeed along for the ride....

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now back to your regularly scheduled ride report. And back home for me. Through that boring old country side

Stopping to rescue another damn turtle of course

More pedaling along

I like this one. Makes me look fast. ;)

Back along the frontage road

Hmm, should I stop for a quick lap dance? Nah.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Down the concrete road to nowhere

Back on the MUT, where I go all the way to the end JUST to get you all this marvy photo of the dam gate mechanisms

And all the way to the other end of the MUT

At this point I've got that 80 miles on the clock I mentioned in the first post, and I'm at the start of one of my regular rides. And hey, its a 20 mile out and back. No brainer. Except I didn't count on a nice flat at 95 miles

Now I've got to hustle or be late. Back into town I go

I've got a date with a dog

a beer

and a floor show.

What a great day!! :tilted:

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KendleFox said:
Love grave yards.

It's so weird to see so much money used up for dead people?

Gotta love that stuff...
Yeah, its a scam. I really don't think it should cost quite so much to bury a loved one, but the funeral parlors kind of have a monopoly on it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, its a scam. I really don't think it should cost quite so much to bury a loved one, but the funeral parlors kind of have a monopoly on it
Unless your willing to do the job don't think you really know what it costs or what it really entails, most familys that i deal with will say they don't know how i do it and couldn't do it for any amount of money. This is something that really ticks me off, I am on call 12 days and off 2 thats 24 hours a day. The national ave. for profit on an adult funeral is in the $300 range so don't say its a rip off you can do it yourself. knock your self out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.