Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 year-old son got his first real bike for the holidays and is absolutely loving riding. He's out everyday after school, and is increasing his saddle time. Problem is that he has a severe peanut allergy and needs some quick food on our longer rides. I haven't found an energy bar that is peanut free.....anyone have any tips here?

Thanks,

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
Mark16q said:
My 11 year-old son got his first real bike for the holidays and is absolutely loving riding. He's out everyday after school, and is increasing his saddle time. Problem is that he has a severe peanut allergy and needs some quick food on our longer rides. I haven't found an energy bar that is peanut free.....anyone have any tips here?

Thanks,

Mark
I have a friend that loves these things...website says there 100% fruit. IMO they taste good. I would tend to think that being all fruit that it would cut down on the chances that there are traces of nuts too but if you email I bet they'd respond. It says they are in 7-11 nationwide but they are also distributed through QBP...the biggest bike parts/accesories distributor in the United States so most shops should be able to them for you without having to order direct with Kalahari and setting up an account.

Hope they work...

http://www.kalahariusa.com/FruitTrekker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Skip the bars...

Mark16q said:
My 11 year-old son got his first real bike for the holidays and is absolutely loving riding. He's out everyday after school, and is increasing his saddle time. Problem is that he has a severe peanut allergy and needs some quick food on our longer rides. I haven't found an energy bar that is peanut free.....anyone have any tips here?

Thanks,

Mark
Just skip the bars altogether. Go with real food on the bike. Something like a small sandwich with some meat and cheese, and maybe mustard makes for a good snack out there. Or even some other goodies like Pop Tarts, nutra grain bars, fig newtons, and the classic banana. Most of these other things are a lot cheaper than energy bars anyway, and provide lots of the same stuff in my opinion, and in reading of labels. Nothing better than stopping at a convenience store 3 hours into a 6 hour ride, getting some oatmeal cream pies, and a coke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
magnolialover said:
Just skip the bars altogether. Go with real food on the bike. Something like a small sandwich with some meat and cheese, and maybe mustard makes for a good snack out there. Or even some other goodies like Pop Tarts, nutra grain bars, fig newtons, and the classic banana. Most of these other things are a lot cheaper than energy bars anyway, and provide lots of the same stuff in my opinion, and in reading of labels. Nothing better than stopping at a convenience store 3 hours into a 6 hour ride, getting some oatmeal cream pies, and a coke.
In a perfect world, I'd love to have the time to prep some good food and bring it along. Unfortunately, limitations of daylight and my own time make it hard. Our rides are usually on short notice, so having a snack that can be grabbed running out the door is critical. Nothing worse than a tired and hungry kid miles from home :eek: He also has a horrible reaction to bananas and many other foods, but peanuts are the worst. Didn't think of fig bars, though. If he likes those, they would work. Trying to keep processed sugar as low as possible (weight problem too, but getting better with the riding)

Thanks for the tips,

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got an email back from the Fruit Trekker people (took all of 1/2 hour from when I emailed!) and they confirmed no peanut content whatsoever. Looking at the ingredients and info on those bars...these sound quite healthy. Hope he likes eating them.

Mark
 

·
Anhinga
Joined
·
31 Posts
energy bars

My son, is serious a triathlete who's currently training for Ironman Arizona. He recently switched from Powerbars, which he discovered are now all made with peanut flour, to Clif bars and has found they work great as far as providing him with sustained energy on long rides. I don't know how far your son's longer rides are, but if you think he'll stick with cycling, or any other endurance sport, I'd sure encourage him to eat something other than oatmeal pies and a coke while exercising. As far as a sandwich of meat and cheese, I can't believe the person who suggested that is serious. Anyone who knows anything about strenuous physical activity knows meat and cheese will just sit there in your stomach like a boat anchor, assuming, that is, you don't puke it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anhinga said:
My son, is serious a triathlete who's currently training for Ironman Arizona. He recently switched from Powerbars, which he discovered are now all made with peanut flour, to Clif bars and has found they work great as far as providing him with sustained energy on long rides. I don't know how far your son's longer rides are, but if you think he'll stick with cycling, or any other endurance sport, I'd sure encourage him to eat something other than oatmeal pies and a coke while exercising. As far as a sandwich of meat and cheese, I can't believe the person who suggested that is serious. Anyone who knows anything about strenuous physical activity knows meat and cheese will just sit there in your stomach like a boat anchor, assuming, that is, you don't puke it up.
Due to my sons weight issue, I try to keep him on healthy food that will satisfy. No Cokes or fastfood are on the menu. It's hard to find peanut free stuff that is healthy and filling on the go. Per the Clif Bar site, all their bars may contain peanuts, so if your son is allergic, you may want to keep searching.

Mark
 

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
Mark16q said:
My 11 year-old son got his first real bike for the holidays and is absolutely loving riding. He's out everyday after school, and is increasing his saddle time. Problem is that he has a severe peanut allergy and needs some quick food on our longer rides. I haven't found an energy bar that is peanut free.....anyone have any tips here?

Thanks,

Mark
I've seen plenty of recipes online for homemade energy bars. All of them combine things like: coconut, dried fruit, various nuts and seeds, flax, whey powder, etc. with honey or corn syrup. You might want to try that instead of attempting to track down a peanut-free bar.
 

·
Travels by Map
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Mark16q said:
In a perfect world, I'd love to have the time to prep some good food and bring it along. Unfortunately, limitations of daylight and my own time make it hard. Our rides are usually on short notice, so having a snack that can be grabbed running out the door is critical. Nothing worse than a tired and hungry kid miles from home :eek: He also has a horrible reaction to bananas and many other foods, but peanuts are the worst. Didn't think of fig bars, though. If he likes those, they would work. Trying to keep processed sugar as low as possible (weight problem too, but getting better with the riding)

Thanks for the tips,

Mark
How long does it take to make a sandwich? You're making excuses over something that is really quick and simple. Also, if you don't want processed sugar then it is probably worth your time to come up with other solutions. Just stick a couple sandwiches in the fridge some night when you have a minute and they're good for days. If sandwiches are no good, use something else. What foods does he normally snack on? Just go through that list and figure out what will work on a bike ride, both for nutritional content and convenience (will it fit in a jersey pocket).

Von's idea is good, too, because you can tailor the ingredients based on his allergies. It may take some time, but you may find it worth it.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I think it's great that your son is riding and you are supporting his efforts.
 

·
Anhinga
Joined
·
31 Posts
Sorry Mark, I forgot to include that my son has been highly allergic to peanuts from the time he was a baby. His allergy is so bad that if he goes into a room where someone is making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich he has an adverse reaction. The reason he switched from Powerbars was that he was unaware they started using peanut flour in all varietiies of their bars, ate a few, and became sick. He then did an extensive search for a replacement, since he needed something to sustain him on very long training rides (70-100 miles). Apparently some flavors of Clif bars have no peanuts, peanut flour, or even essence of peanut in them because he's been training with them and has had no problem.
I'm certainly not pushing Clif bars; as a matter of fact I've never even eaten one. I just thought I'd pass along this information to you in the hope that it might help. I know what you're going through as a dad with a kid who has this allergy, having been there myself. Good luck, and I hope your son makes cycling an integral part of his life.
 

·
Anhinga
Joined
·
31 Posts
DieselDan said:
Arguably one of the greatest cyclists ever used Fig Newtons to win 7 Tours de France.
I don't doubt it. Matter of fact, I love Fig Newtons myself. The difference, however, between a Tour rider and a triathlete is that triathletes aren't allowed to have a sag vehicle riding alongside them handing them stuff to eat and drink. Imagine how many Fig Newtons you'd have to stuff into the pockets of your jersey to make it 112 miles after you've just finished swimming 2.4 miles. All the same, for an 11 year old kid out riding his bike, I happen to agree with you - Fig Newtons would probably trump most energy bars.
 

·
Travels by Map
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
anhinga said:
I don't doubt it. Matter of fact, I love Fig Newtons myself. The difference, however, between a Tour rider and a triathlete is that triathletes aren't allowed to have a sag vehicle riding alongside them handing them stuff to eat and drink. Imagine how many Fig Newtons you'd have to stuff into the pockets of your jersey to make it 112 miles after you've just finished swimming 2.4 miles. All the same, for an 11 year old kid out riding his bike, I happen to agree with you - Fig Newtons would probably trump most energy bars.
Actually, they're the official energy snack of the Ironman. ;)

Speaking in terms of actual merits, they have about 11 carbs and 55 calories per cookie. That is a good amount of energy per volume and very similar to most energy bars. The generic brands are usually very close to Nabisco's version in nutritional value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Amino Vital

Check out the Amino Vital Bars
http://www.amino-vital.com/whatisavbar.asp

They are a pretty new product, but I think that lots of GNC's and Vitamin Shop's carry them.
I don't think that there are any peanuts in it at all, though it does say on the label that it is manufactured on machines that also manufacture peanut products, so I guess it depends on how sensitive your sons allergy is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trener1 said:
Check out the Amino Vital Bars
http://www.amino-vital.com/whatisavbar.asp

They are a pretty new product, but I think that lots of GNC's and Vitamin Shop's carry them.
I don't think that there are any peanuts in it at all, though it does say on the label that it is manufactured on machines that also manufacture peanut products, so I guess it depends on how sensitive your sons allergy is.
Thanks Trener1,

My sons allergy is quite severe, so anything that is labeled "may contain peanuts" or "manufactured on machines..." is off the list of possibilities. Just not worth the risk. If he gets anywhere near peanuts, he starts wheezing, lips swell, etc. We'd hoped he would outgrow it, but his allergy testing still shows it as severe. While it's a bit of an inconvenience, we're grateful that we are aware of it and can deal with it. All his buddies look out for him too, reading labels, etc.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
How about these

Hey Mark,

How about these,
http://www.healthcocanada.com/products.htm
I'd give the company a quick phone call to see if they are nut free, but they appear to be.



Mark16q said:
Thanks Trener1,

My sons allergy is quite severe, so anything that is labeled "may contain peanuts" or "manufactured on machines..." is off the list of possibilities. Just not worth the risk. If he gets anywhere near peanuts, he starts wheezing, lips swell, etc. We'd hoped he would outgrow it, but his allergy testing still shows it as severe. While it's a bit of an inconvenience, we're grateful that we are aware of it and can deal with it. All his buddies look out for him too, reading labels, etc.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I have the same allergy

I'm also severely allergic to peanuts, and like your son, I would go into anaphylactic shock if I ate anything with even minute traces of peanuts. For that reason, I stay away from all energy bars, like Clif and Powerbars. As far as packaged foods, I eat Nutri-Grain bars and GU gels on rides. For longer rides, I like to make sandwiches, usually banana and honey (my favorite) or turkey on wheat. Of course, I always bring my Epi-pen with me, just in case. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ari
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ari said:
I'm also severely allergic to peanuts, and like your son, I would go into anaphylactic shock if I ate anything with even minute traces of peanuts. For that reason, I stay away from all energy bars, like Clif and Powerbars. As far as packaged foods, I eat Nutri-Grain bars and GU gels on rides. For longer rides, I like to make sandwiches, usually banana and honey (my favorite) or turkey on wheat. Of course, I always bring my Epi-pen with me, just in case. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ari

Ari,

This sounds like our situation. He loves Nutri-grains (way too much), and while more candy than energy bar, they may have to do. Wasn't aware that the GU's were clean, but will check that. Funny about the epi-pen....he's always carried it in a little fanny pack, but apparently that's not cool anymore, so this morning was spent trying to find a way to carry it covertly. But you're right....it has to be on hand.

Thanks for the info,

Mark
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top