Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some info about peanut butter- I have heard it's great for you (all kinds of peanut butter) and i have also heard its brutal for you and contains some bad fats. What's the verdict?? How does it relate to an athlete's diet? Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
all commercial PB has hydrodgenated oil (read very bad) in it (also they add sugar). The best option is to get the organic stuff - which requires stirring it up first (ingrediants are "peanuts") Costco usually has a great deal on the organic kind.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
the kind that you get at a store where there's a bin of peanuts, throw the switch, grindgrindgrind, there's your PB. Add J, some bread, you're good to go.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Evil PB

The Carlster said:
all commercial PB has hydrodgenated oil (read very bad) in it (also they add sugar). The best option is to get the organic stuff - which requires stirring it up first (ingrediants are "peanuts") Costco usually has a great deal on the organic kind.
Yes, "peanuts only" peanut butter is better than the commercial stuff, but not by much. They don't add much hydrogentated oil, and the sugar content is pretty low too. The difference between Jiff and "100% organic grown by Tibetan monks and crushed in a hand built oak grinder" is minimal unless you are subsisting totally on PB, and then you have other problems. Moderate PB use is a useful dietary component, whether commercial or "all natural."

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think so

Kerry Irons said:
Yes, "peanuts only" peanut butter is better than the commercial stuff, but not by much. They don't add much hydrogentated oil, and the sugar content is pretty low too. The difference between Jiff and "100% organic grown by Tibetan monks and crushed in a hand built oak grinder" is minimal unless you are subsisting totally on PB, and then you have other problems. Moderate PB use is a useful dietary component, whether commercial or "all natural."
Natural peanut butter, no hydrogenated oils no sugar added: peanuts, maybe salt.
"Commercial" stuff like Jiff is bad because of the trans-fats. The tibetan monk oak grinder stuff does has very healthy mono-unsaturated fats. I don't get where you're comming from saying that there is little difference and that peanut butter is "evil."
The only negative thing that I know about peanut butter is that it contains a natural carcinogen because of a peanuts tendancy to mold. You can avoid that by buying almond butter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
p.b advocate

NTM said:
Natural peanut butter, no hydrogenated oils no sugar added: peanuts, maybe salt.
"Commercial" stuff like Jiff is bad because of the trans-fats. The tibetan monk oak grinder stuff does has very healthy mono-unsaturated fats. I don't get where you're comming from saying that there is little difference and that peanut butter is "evil."
The only negative thing that I know about peanut butter is that it contains a natural carcinogen because of a peanuts tendancy to mold. You can avoid that by buying almond butter.
ever try the cashewbutter or peanutbutter from trader joes? mmmmmmmmm

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Also, 'organic' could still have the added hydrogenated oil and sugar. Organic does not specify ingedients. - TF

·
Registered
593 Posts
Smucker's Natural has 2 ingredients - peanuts and salt. They also make a "no salt added" version that has 1 ingredient - peanuts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice guys. i think i will be playing it safe and cutting it down to maybe once a week `on my bagel. but this brings up a whole new question- dry bagels are bearable sometimes but overall theyre just narsty. what about nuttella? low-fat cream cheese?? whats the best thing to spread on bagels/toast??

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jaseone said:
What are you trying to accomplish with your diet? Having peanut butter or any spread for that matter on a bagel or two every day really isn't going to make much of a difference to anything, there are bigger things to worry about in the world....
well, i'm certainly not trying to make a case for peanut butter consumtion as the world's biggest issue....My belief when it comes to diet is that if there are some undesireable properties of a food, consume it in moderation, and thanks to the helpful posts here i see that there are indeed some undesireable properties of peanut butter.
will i keel over and die if i have a bagel w/peanut butter, or even 5 of them a day? No. But I am trying to get the most out of everything I eat. So, you didn't really answer my second question-do you guys know of any alternatives that would offer a different benefit as a spread? Thanks

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
There's nothing wrong with peanut butter. It's just got about 70% fat. If you get the "natural" kind that is just peanuts and salt (much better tasting than commerical types IMHO) and pour out the oil that accumulates at the top you can get the fat content down to maybe 60%. But if you are eating it in moderation, its not going to make you fat. 70% of a teaspoon or so isn't a big deal.

Having said that, when I was obsessive about racing I gave up peanut butter. I got really really thin but it wasn't the lack of peanut butter that did it.

You can try non-fat cream cheese on bagels. NF cream cheese has to contain a lot of additives in order to make it creamy. Mmm, carageenen and guar gum. Polysorbate 80. You get the idea. It also tastes a lot like bathtub caulk. I use low-fat cream cheese instead, since, to me, it tastes pretty much like the full-fat vareity.

My theory now when it comes to food is to not worry about eating a bit of fat here and there. I try to make it tasty fat (i.e. good natural peanut butter instead of Jif) rather than eating junk. If I need to lose weight, I ride more and eat less food overall.

·
Registered
889 Posts
cmatcan said:
well, i'm certainly not trying to make a case for peanut butter consumtion as the world's biggest issue....My belief when it comes to diet is that if there are some undesireable properties of a food, consume it in moderation, and thanks to the helpful posts here i see that there are indeed some undesireable properties of peanut butter.
will i keel over and die if i have a bagel w/peanut butter, or even 5 of them a day? No. But I am trying to get the most out of everything I eat. So, you didn't really answer my second question-do you guys know of any alternatives that would offer a different benefit as a spread? Thanks
You're way too anal about this. That said, hummus makes a very nice spread and is delicious.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Differences

NTM said:
As I said, peanuts-only PB is better than the commercial stuff, but my point is that it is not enough better to have any real meaning in a balanced diet. That is what I mean by little difference - little difference in any meaningful way. The "evil PB" was in response to what I perceived to be The Carlster's overly dramatic warnings - IOW, it was meant to be sarcastic.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks a lot ericm. as for the others- i don't stand and fall based on any aspect of diet-all i'm getting at is that i don't know everything about nutrition-if one thing is better than an alternative, i'm going the healthy route. will it qualify me for the protour? no. does it make sense to try and eat the best foods you can? yes. should you post lame observations and unhelpful comments on my threads? probably not. thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts