Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used bike and getting back into road biking after a great many years. The rod bike I got already has Shimano Ultegra pedals. From what I can tell these pedals require a cleat other than the standard SPD cleat a two hole cleat, from what I gather the Ultegra require a cleat with a 3 hole pattern. Is it possible to use a SPD cleat with a two hole pattern?

The reason I ask, Keen makes a biking sandal I would like to use at times instead of a straight road bike shoe. Problem is the Keen only uses a 2 hold pattern.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/men/pedal/commuter

Thanks

· Registered
203 Posts
There are two types of SPD pedals. There is the MTB version which is a 2-hole; this is what the shoe you linked to above will work with.

And there's the road version of SPD (officially called SPD-SL or something like that). SPD-SL requires a three-hole compatible shoe. There's no room to mount the SPD-SL cleat on "walkable" shoes because the cleat itself is fairly large.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.