Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had clip-in pedals before, and I have no idea what float is. I am looking at a pair that come with two avalible cleats, one with 0 degrees of float and one with 6 degrees. I'm not sure what float is, if its good or bad, or if it is something that i want or not. Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
gone biking...
175 Posts
In short, float is the amount your foot can rotate from side to side. A pedal with 0 degrees of float obviously won't allow you to move your foot at all. People with knee problems usually prefer more float.. (I use Speedplays which have an unlimited amount of float).

And then there are pedals that have adjustable float..

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
There are two kinds of pedal float common with clipless pedals: allowing the foot to pivot so the heel moves in and out, and allowing the whole foot to slide side to side. The former is the common type of float. A 6 degree cleat would allow the cleat to rotate 6 degrees to either side.

Some riders need float because their feet want to rotate as they pedal. Some use pedal float to mask incorrect cleat setup. Some don't like float. I personally don't like road cleats with float, but it doesn't bother me so much on my mountain bike. You do have to be even more careful about cleat setup with non-float cleats.

Even "non-floating" cleats can let your feet move around some.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, thats makes sense, thanks. And also, if anyone has any expiernce with these pedals, Forte CR150 vs. Shimano 105. (if you cant tell, im on quite a budget) I am leaning toward the 105, but i am willing to listen to anyones suggestions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
get some wellgo's. i have the rc713. super cheap, decent weight, no issues on mine so far. 4 degrees float, very easy to get in/out of.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont see any rc713 stuff on the internet except one british site. I saw alot on wellgo MG-8 which was MSRPed at the same as 105 pedals. And, at Performance I saw a pair of Look PP-396 for $90 which is supposedly a good price (52% off). Someone who knows alot about pedals... please tell me something.

·
gone biking...
175 Posts
The Look PP396's are quite a popular pedal. And for 52% off, you can't go wrong, that's a great deal. Personally, I trust the Look name more than I do Forté (simply because Look has been around for a while, and Performance *rolls eyes* makes the Forté brand).

Try looking through some of the reviews on this site if you're still having a hard time making a decision. Also make sure which ever pedal you choose - it's compatible w/ your shoe.

Bottom Line: If you don't have knee issues just get the Looks :p It's got a nice big platform w/ adjustable float and good quality.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
teffisk said:
Yeah, thats makes sense, thanks. And also, if anyone has any expiernce with these pedals, Forte CR150 vs. Shimano 105. (if you cant tell, im on quite a budget) I am leaning toward the 105, but i am willing to listen to anyones suggestions.
CC09 said:
get some wellgo's. i have the rc713. super cheap, decent weight, no issues on mine so far. 4 degrees float, very easy to get in/out of.
If you are referring to the "Look style" Wellgo or Forte pedals, DO NOT BUY THEM!!!. Both are made by Wellgo (as is the Nashbar house brand pedal), and they are, at best, a piece of junk, and at worst, dangerous. Look in the reviews-last time I looked, the Wellgo had something like a 1.5 (out of 4) rating. Many people were passionate about their hatred for these poorly-designed and nasty devices. You can do much better for only a little more.

The SPD version, though, is only cheap. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'd recommend the 105, if those are SPD-SL. I was a big fan of LOOK and Shimano-licensed LOOK design pedals from the first big white LOOKs in the mid 80s to the Shimano 7401. The SPD-SL is a similar design with many of the bugs fixed. The cleats don't squeak, they don't wear out as quickly, they have little rubbery nubbins for you to walk on (so you don't wear out the cleats and get more traction), and the cleat is designed so you don't wear out the part that holds the cleat on the pedal. And of course you can choose float or no-float cleats.

When I test rode an R3, the shop threw on one DA and one 105 pedal because thats what they had lying around. I couldn't feel any difference between them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, between 105's at $50, Ultegra's at $80, and Look PP 396's at $95... what would you guys suggest? So far we have 1 vote for 105....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I hate to throw a 4th pair into the equation,but I just purchased a set of Look Keo, over at www.probikekit.com for 44.95 USD. They are working well for me. I previously used Shimano Ultegra, and loved them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hows the clipping in and out of those pedals? And if you know, how are they compared to 105's? Please, repsond ASAP, because i'm probably going to buy in the next 24 hours. I just went on a 50 mile group ride with my running shoes, and my feet hurt!

And o yeah, does anyone have suggestions on shimano R098, R130, Pearl Izumi Vortex, or any other shoes in that range? Thanks a ton!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts