Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of attempting to decide which new pedals I wanted, I decided to buy the
Dura Ace 7800's. I have been a Look user for the past 12 years and now I think I have some buyers remorse. I only used the 7800's on the rollers but, I think I may return them for the Look CX6's. My current set-up is Campy 10. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Those are good pedals, as are Campy ProFit

If you want a good, lightweight, "conventional" pedal, then Campy ProFit and DA are the choices. Obviously Speedplay and Time are good pedals, but they are not "conventional" in their float action. Look pedals are common and lower cost, but few would claim that they are the best. Since you're on Campy 10, why not ProFit? There's nothing wrong with the choice you've made, but you seem to be thinking WAY too hard.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What is meant by..... not conventional in their float action.. I am need of new MTB pedals for road bike and was seriously thinking a time cyclo pedal based on the ATAC system. Want and need at least 5 degrees of float.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Non conventional

Speedplay has a large degree of float, and there is no "centering" action (except their Zero model, which can have zero float). While most people adapt to it, the "skating on ice" feeling un-nerves some people. Time has side to side float rather than just pivoting float. Any way, when I said "conventional" I was really refering to the general entry approach as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I too had an uneasy feeling when I first got my DA 7800's on the rollers this winter. I just recently got out on pavement and gave them a spin and I have to say I'm hooked. These pedals feel so solid in that I do not even notice them-I feel as if I am connected directly to the crank arm. I would reccomend taking them out on the road at least once-it's a totally different pedal than when on the rollers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Speedplays

I went from cages = no float to Speedplay X-2s = full float about 7 months ago. I never felt uncomfortable on these pedals. Yes you can swing your foot side to side, but this was liberating after being locked into the pedal with no lateral movement in the heal. I personally really like it and it has reduced my knee pain significantly. Buy a used pair and test them out, if you like them then get a new pair. Just my ramblings on the matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts