Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at pedals for a new cross bike I am buying (Felt F1X), and I'm leaning toward Crank Brothers. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the relative merits of the Eggbeater vs. the Candy model.

The Candy really just seems like the Eggbeater with a plastic frame around it. What's the benefit? Better power transfer? Doesn't that make them harder to clip into?

If it makes a difference, in addition to racing this bike in the fall I am also contemplating making it my main road bike as well (with a second set of wheels), so I will also be using these same pedals with my road shoes (equipped with an adapter that allows the use of a two-hole cleat, of course).

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Mark

· More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
If you have semi-flexible shoes the larger platform of the Candy can help alleviate hot spots. It can also interfere with the shoe lugs at times and make clipping in and out difficult unless you shave the lugs. I'd go with the Eggs if I were you and use the RC cleats with your road shoes.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I've used both and see no benefit to the Candys. The plastic platform rotates freely, so unless all of the stars align and both sides contact the shoe at the same time, they don't do squat as far as giving your foot a more stable platform.

They do make it slightly harder to clip in, slightly harder to clear mud and they weigh slightly more.

I also cracked the plastic part where it approaches the base of the spindle on the last set of Candys I owned -- no evidence of an impact.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I use both, I can't see the point of the candy platform, plus it can get kind of slippery. The bearing quality in those is utter crap. you have to grease them constantly. They work nicely, however. You may want to also consider the time atac, they are a good quality pedal that is widely used.

· Registered
98 Posts
+1 for eggbeaters

I road eggbeaters and then added the candies to my collection for a second bike. I agree that the straight eggbeaters are much easier to enter than the candies. On long road rides I think there may be a marginal difference in terms of comfort with the candies, but not enough to outweigh the benefits of eggbeaters.

I also just rebuilt my 2 year old eggbeaters. I'm no mechanic but it was easy and makes them seem like new to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.