Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a set of pedals online that will go with most shoes on the market. I want road specific shoes not MTB shoes. I'm new to the sport and am IN LOVE WITH IT! So I'm looking for 1st of all what are people's recommendations for pedals under 75. And then what sites are good to order from. I would really like to avoid EBAY i have the worst luck with it.

Thanks everyone,
Aleks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Man, take your choice. Look, Time, Speedplay being the most common pedals I see with my riding buddies, virtually all the shoes you can purchase should be pre-drilled for any of these cleat styles.

Don't like Ebay? Want to order new stuff? Try Pro Bike Kit in the UK (www.probikekit.com). Don't let the overseas website scare you. I've had excellent delivery from those guys, and their prices are generally the lowest.

·
Registered
86 Posts
for under $75.... then you are pretty limited.
Forget about Look or Time as they will be 2x to 3x what you want to spend.
Your choices may be pedals like Wellgo's (at MEC stores) or try a set of Shimano PR-R540's. At least they will get you use to clipping in and clipping out.
If i were you i would spend a tiny bit more and but the Speedplay LightAction chromolys for about $110. They are light and you never have to look down to clip in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to spend a little more but I'm doing this on a budget. I'm a college kid about to go to grad school. I love the sport but it's an arm and a leg. I also have really flat feet so I want to spend the money on better shoes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bill Silverman said:
Man, take your choice. Look, Time, Speedplay being the most common pedals I see with my riding buddies, virtually all the shoes you can purchase should be pre-drilled for any of these cleat styles.

Don't like Ebay? Want to order new stuff? Try Pro Bike Kit in the UK (www.probikekit.com). Don't let the overseas website scare you. I've had excellent delivery from those guys, and their prices are generally the lowest.
froogle.com search on "look keo pedals" sort by price, there're a number of pedals listed below $75. Of course you need to look at the store rating as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
It's really unfortunate that there's no compatibility between brands. If you're new to clipless pedals you just have to cross your fingers and hope you like what you get. There are many good brands, and most companies make pedals in a range of prices. Some good brands are (in no particular order) Look, Time, Crank Brothers, Shimano, and Speed Play. You probably won't go wrong with any of them. They all have their pros and cons. Personally I like Look Keos. Why? I started using clipless pedals in the mid to late 70's, and they're the only ones I've ever used. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.