Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am real new to road pedals so try not too laugh. My bike came with cheap-o SPD compatible pedals and one always seemed to spin upside down which became a nightmare at stop lights when I was trying to reengage. However, I did like the locked in feel of the SPD pedals on my road bike (as opposed to not liking this on my MTB). However, since I am used to my eggbeaters on my MTB I put those on there so I would not have to worry about the pedal flipping, but I hate the float when I am out of the saddle.

So, if I but a decent pair of Shimano road pedals, will they eventually start flipping upside down? Is there a two sided road pedal? Should I just put a two sided SPD pedal for MTBing on my road bike?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Why do you find it a nightmare to re-engage? Are you trying to clip in as soon as you pull away? If you wait until you are rolling you can stop padalling and clip in without having to rush it.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
JAragon said:
I am real new to road pedals so try not too laugh. My bike came with cheap-o SPD compatible pedals and one always seemed to spin upside down which became a nightmare at stop lights when I was trying to reengage. However, I did like the locked in feel of the SPD pedals on my road bike (as opposed to not liking this on my MTB). However, since I am used to my eggbeaters on my MTB I put those on there so I would not have to worry about the pedal flipping, but I hate the float when I am out of the saddle.

So, if I but a decent pair of Shimano road pedals, will they eventually start flipping upside down? Is there a two sided road pedal? Should I just put a two sided SPD pedal for MTBing on my road bike?
The road pedal should stay almost vertical with the back pointed down all the way around. It sounds like your pedal may be too tight and it is not being allowed to spin free and stay in position.

Speedplay (X-series and Zero) is the most common two-sided pedal. The Zero can be adjusted to have no float.

TF

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TurboTurtle said:
The road pedal should stay almost vertical with the back pointed down all the way around. It sounds like your pedal may be too tight and it is not being allowed to spin free and stay in position.

Speedplay (X-series and Zero) is the most common two-sided pedal. The Zero can be adjusted to have no float.

TF
The pedal actually flips upside down all the way around. It does not sit vertical, which would be ideal. Do Speedplay Pedals have float?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CBar said:
Maybe try a CB road pedal, like the Quatros. Not much float, two sided, and will work with your shoes.
Don't they have as much float as the MTB eggbeaters I have on the bike now?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
JAragon said:
The pedal actually flips upside down all the way around. It does not sit vertical, which would be ideal. Do Speedplay Pedals have float?
Assuming that we are talking about the float that lets your foot spin (not float that lets it move side to side), Speedplay X-series have a lot of float. Speedplay Zeros have adjustable float and can be adjusted to none.

Pictured below is a Shimano SPD-SL in its natural posistion.

TF

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TurboTurtle said:
Assuming that we are talking about the float that lets your foot spin (not float that lets it move side to side), Speedplay X-series have a lot of float. Speedplay Zeros have adjustable float and can be adjusted to none.

Pictured below is a Shimano SPD-SL in its natural posistion.

TF
Thanks for the pic. That makes so much more sense. My Cheapo pedal is definitely not doing that. It is flipping completely upside down. I guess I will just get some Shimano pedals then because you get what you pay for right?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I happen to like eggbeaters a lot. I have extensive experience with SPD and Time Atac pedals. Since I've switched to eggbeaters I've tried the standard ones and the new Candy ones. The candy ones have a different feel to them which I don't have a description for, yet, but I like them. I kinda want to go back to straight eggbeaters but I'll ride with the Candy ones for a few hundred miles before I make a firm opinion of them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
JAragon said:

Been running Eggbeaters and Candys for nearly two years now - had an odd issue with SPD - my tastes, not really the pedals, and never could get along with the Look road pedals I tried, for several reasons.

Now have one MTB, a fixed gear bike, and my three various road bikes with Eggies/Candys, though the new toy has Quattros (love the pedals, reserving judgement on the cleats - may go back to Cranks' road cleats with them). Have no problems riding any of them in either my road or MTB shoes, whichever suits what I'm up to that day.

Give your eggies a try some more on your road bike, you might find that you come to like them. I bought my first pair after a toss-up between them and Time MTB pedals, found them somewhat 'different' at first, but soon grew to like them, hence the Crank'd fleet.

WHo was that Columbian who nailed the massive mountian stage in the Tour 'day' Georgia couple of years back? He was riding plain old Eggbeaters, and they didn't stop him scooting over them thar mountains :)

Hope that helps

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts