Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, for the cross post, but I have a quick question for y'all, i have a pedal decision to make! I have my first proper road bike on order, a Bianchi, which i'm planning to use for a duathlon and a few long rides at the weekend. It comes with shimano spd touring pedals. Question is, should i bother upgrading the pedals? At the moment i have a pair of spd shoes, so not sure if its worth the extra cash for both pedals and shoes - was considering Shimano Ultegra (spd-sl) pedals, which I can source for little extra cash... Any opinions? Thanks! Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know how much of a 'performance increase' you're going to see with upgraded pedals and shoes, to be honest...
If you have the cash and want a snazzy new set of pedals and shoes, go for it, but the conventional wisdom (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that the best initial upgrade (that is,the one that will increase your bike preformance the most) that you can make to a stock bike is a nice set of wheels.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
for most components, what you get for an upgrade is, in approximate order -- look, weight, durability, some increase in adjustability. And bling factor, which is hard to rate. The weight penalty for an individual component is usually negligible (other than wheels).
but if you want them, get them. it's a hobby, and that's what hobbyists do.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
mclarent said:
Sorry, for the cross post, but I have a quick question for y'all, i have a pedal decision to make! I have my first proper road bike on order, a Bianchi, which i'm planning to use for a duathlon and a few long rides at the weekend. It comes with shimano spd touring pedals. Question is, should i bother upgrading the pedals? At the moment i have a pair of spd shoes, so not sure if its worth the extra cash for both pedals and shoes - was considering Shimano Ultegra (spd-sl) pedals, which I can source for little extra cash... Any opinions? Thanks! Tom
First, I wouldn't think of it as an upgrade. Lighter, higher level pedals won't increase performance in any measurable way.

But there are good reasons to change pedals. an SPD with a touring shoe usually gives you a soft sole and a small contact patch and this may cause hot spots on the bottoms of your feet. A wider pedal and stiffer soled road shoe will go a long way in preventing this. Also, you may want to look at different pedals and shoes if your current setup isn't working . This usually shows up as knee or ankle pain that you can't adjust out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use spd pedals. I did a double century with spd pedals last month and I got another double coming up this weekend. I would get a hot foot at 120 miles but would go away around 135 miles. After reading posts in this forum. I moved my cleats farther down towards the heel. Much better. Still a little pain but tolerable. I almost bought the time time atac pedals. But decided to hold off until after this weekend. I'm also looking at the new looks quartz. But there not many reviews out on it yet. The spd pedals I got on my bike now. I got from performance for $29.99. I got over 19,000 miles on them and never even changed the cleats. They still work fine. I've never had a problem with them. I'm kinda going along the lines if it ain't broke why fix it. I'm just thinking maybe a bigger platform might be a improvement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.